3TB External HD turned intro Raw.... very depressed

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Mysticstrider

3TB External HD turned intro Raw.... very depressed

#1 Post by Mysticstrider »

So I bought this harddrive "TOSHIBA PH3300U-1I72 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive" model recognized number on harddrive as: "HDS723030BLE640" and the current problem I’m having with it is that I can’t access it with all my data possibly being gone. This Hard Disk which was originally an internal storage but I made it an external storage by putting it into a USB External Enclosure. The problem is that I recently discovered that my harddrive access certain files and folders and couldn't remove my harddrive safely via usb through "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" as it was saying that "Your media is still in use" or something along those lines, so I just removed the usb plug unsafely from the usb slot and now I'm currently facing this problem. I should've known not to do that since now I'm facing this problem along with a lot of users who uses external storage and happened to go through this same situation.

I hope this can be fixed and my data is still recoverable though or I'll be really sad.... I have over 2tb of data filled on the harddrive and I don't know what made it like this. So what happened was that when that happened, I was randomly accessing my harddrive again yesterday and I noticed that it suddenly became inaccessible and my files started not showing. I was seriously hoping that my files weren't corrupted or anything and are recoverable. So what I did is that when I restarted my computer the harddrive shows up in my computer but doesn't show data, when I try to access it it asks me "You need to reformat the drive in I: before you can use it" then I also get the message "Volume does not contain a recognized file system". When I go to right click properties under system, it doesn't write or show anything, it's just blank in my computer.

I've recently bought and started using all kinds of Data Recovery Softwares such as: GetDataBack, Find and Mount, Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery, IsoBuster, and Recover my Files. They were no use and doesn't detect any of my files! After that I'm panicking and have the most miserable feeling in my life right now, just feel so depressed and desperate :(

But I've stumbled upon this place after doing some research about "RAW" data corruption on external harddrives no google, and hopefully I can get things fixed with "TestDisk". I've also went to this article here: http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-exte ... ecame-raw/ and showed me what do with the steps on how to fix an external hard disk drive becoming raw.

I really want my data back and I just want to know if it's really possible.
Everything on Western Digital Data Lifeguard and Computer management shows that my harddrive is healthy and have no problems. I haven't written anything to the drive as the article tells me to do so, and I did not format my drive yet 'cause I know that would be already bad. If anyone can help me here I'd greatly appreciate it. If there's anything i can do in return I'll donate to anyone who'll help me here, this thing is like my life :(

I heard that the solution to this would be to write a write a new partition table once I see my files/folders. Is this true? It's currently scanning right now and here are some pictures of what I have so far:

Last edited by Mysticstrider on 20 Sep 2013, 11:38, edited 1 time in total.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: 3TB External HD turned intro Raw.... very depressed

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Connect the disk in SATA instead of USB to begin with. Maybe the USB case doesn't handle correctly disk bigger than 2 GB.
Run "cmd" (Right-click Run as Administrator) and "chkdsk /f I:". If it doesn't fix your problem, run TestDisk, Advanced, List. Does it work ?

Mysticstrider

#3 Post by Mysticstrider »

I haven't done that yet, but I'm running TestDisk right now through Windows 7 as "Run as Administrator" I'll give you my results so far. I'm currently running TestDisk 6.13 through Quick Search atm and it's almost been a day. The 70% at the bottom is currently where it's at when I'm done posting this. Is that normal for a Quick Search scan running on Windows 7 as an administrator? Hopefully all my data is till there.

I'm following the instructions James Litten's article here: http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-exte ... ecame-raw/ as well as the one on TestDisk step-by-step guide here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Prior to using TestiDisk, I've also been using several other Data recovery softwares such as "GetDataBack, Find and Mount, Stellar Phoenix Recovery, Recover my Files, but they're all useless. The only one I've found somewhat useful so far is the iCare Data Recovery Professional Edition that I've used as the latest data recovery software and have managed to find some of my files in different partitions, but not all my data. I used all 4 parts of "Lost Partition Recovery, Advanced Files Recovery, Deep Scan Recovery, and Format Recovery" all giving me the same results. All it took was 6-9 hours of scanning, but I'm still missing some file in my harddrive. Also, some of the files it supplied me were scrambled with random file names without showing most of my file's actual name for a lot of them.

I've spent almost $300 on these softwares in total so far, but still unsure if all my data is still there.

I'm really scared that all my data is gone, may you guys be able to tell me if it's still okay? I've tried plugging in this 3TB harddrive to another working external case holding another harddrive which is 750gb. It still shows that my harddrive is "RAW" and asking me to format the 3TB, which I haven't yet. So now it's just inside my computer as an internal harddrive being scanned from the details I've provided so far. It's at 70% and these are the results so far. by the way, I'm sorry for posting a picture link to the current scan, it's going to be a bit long.

Anyway here are the results so far with 70% being the current progress after I post this thread:
http://i.imgur.com/aftvbuN.png

May anyone explain to me what these error codes mean and can give me hope if all my files are still on my harddrive?
Last edited by Mysticstrider on 20 Sep 2013, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

Mysticstrider

#4 Post by Mysticstrider »

May anyone help me here if I display the results?

This is what i got from the results Iafter Quick Search finished:
http://i.imgur.com/i8VDPVO.png

Also, sorry but I believe I accidentally went back too much by pressing "Q" after taking a screenshot of the third "MS Data" so i think I have to use Quick Search again.

Is it possible my data is gone or what? I'm really desperate and depressed right now, I'm willing to do anything even donate to anyone here who manages to get my data back.

Anyway, I'm doing a Quick Search again because I went back a step after the results leading me to the main screen again, so I have to wait another 1-2days, hopefully it can be less.

What do you guys suggest me to do after I do a Quick Search again? Should I press enter to continue and do a Deeper Search if it shows that my file system shows up as "Filesystem seems damaged" from the results of Quick Search? Because Deeper Search will take much longer and don't know how long it will take to finish scanning this 3TB hard disk drive. But should I continue with "Writing" from the Quick Search results or continue with Deeper Search until I get more better results with the possibility of a parition showing all of my files or most of it?

I also just want to add that prior to this I've also did what you requested me to do for going to "Advanced" and I've done the following through TestDisk in Advanced and these are the results:
http://i.imgur.com/6DyYzFr.png. It seems that I can only choose from the following for both the partitions "Type, Image Creation, or Quit (Q)"
Also, I believe the "MS Data 264192 5860532223 5860268032" is where all my data is located at, but I can be wrong. Is this one of the partitions my data is in?

^^ And does this mean I'm still hopeful that I can still fix one of my partitions which is the one I've mentioned above with all my data in it?
Last edited by Mysticstrider on 20 Sep 2013, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mysticstrider

#5 Post by Mysticstrider »

Hello again,

I got a question about running CHKDSK in command prompt using ""chkdsk /f I:"
Since my 3TB Hard Disk Drive is currently getting "Quick Search" scan by TestDisk, will I still be able to use ""chkdsk /f I:"? What will ""chkdsk /f I:" do to my 3TB harddrive or to any hard drives on my computer? Will the "/f" command erase any data or repair anything? I'm scared if I use this command through chkdsk in command prompt as an administrator I might risk losing most of my data or some of it.? I'm scared that I'll lose my data, so I'm not sure if I should use "chkdsk /f I:" yet or wait later.

Mysticstrider

#6 Post by Mysticstrider »

I'm really crying right now, nobody is helping me here... I've been asking for help and all I received is 1 reply. May anyone be so kind and help me here?

This is what I have from the results, there's obviously something wrong with my harddrive. Why is it showing for me after Deeper search the following shows this when I'm trying to access any partition: "Support for this filesystem hasn't been enable during compilation."

This is the results of the DeeperScan:
http://imageshack.com/a/img20/5416/ek2b.png

Please I beg anyone to help me here...

Mysticstrider

#7 Post by Mysticstrider »

Does anyone know what it means when it says "Support for this filesystem hasn't been enable during compilation."? I don't know why it does this when it shows that.

But please, may anyone help me here? I really want to recover my data.
I looked up google search to find out what that means and came upon that I need to use 64 bit edition or something. At that time I was running the standard 32-bit edition of Testdisk.
So I downloaded the 64-bit edition of TestDisk and now I have two options for viewing the harddrive:
Either I choose the Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive 1 - 3000 GB / 2794 GiB or the Drive I: - 3000 GB / 2794 GiB

I went ahead and chose the Disk \\.\PhysicalDrive 1 - 3000 GB / 2794 GiB on the list where it doesn't show the drive letter path, but I chose "Disk" in stead of "Drive". I'm just wondering, but why is the 64-bit version of TestDisk like this?

These are the quick results so far right now when it's scanning:
http://imageshack.com/a/img546/7583/2k5b.png

Now it's showing different results while it's scanning. Does anyone know how to get rid of the "Support for this filesystem hasn't been enable during compilation."?

Will running the 64-bit edition help me get rid of that error?

Please I want to know if i may still able to recover my data, i have over 2tb of data in it. I would appreciate the help guys :(

Mysticstrider

#8 Post by Mysticstrider »

Hey guys, I managed to run cmd as administarator and ran chkdsk on it and this is what it shows:
Attachments
chkdskproblem_092413.png
chkdskproblem_092413.png (64.09 KiB) Viewed 8775 times

Mysticstrider

#9 Post by Mysticstrider »

Hi cgrenier and Fiona, may you guys help me out here please?

rush

#10 Post by rush »

Hang in there bud, for cgrenier or Fiona will surely respond as time permits. Understand they have their regular lives, jobs et al to attend to first. :)

Here's my issue which they've been supporting -
http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/help ... 2793.html.

I cant thank them enough if this works out for me. :ugeek:

CHeers!