Recovering files from HDD after connection to TV Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
smudge

Recovering files from HDD after connection to TV

#1 Post by smudge »

I really don't know if I am in the right place but much searching has led me here, so here's my question-
I have a WD Elements 1TB external hdd that I use to store photos and home videos. One day I plugged it into my LG TV to watch some of the videos. There were no messages and no problem accessing the videos. But next time it was plugged into a PC it was not recognised at all. When the IT guy at work removed it from its case and used Disk Manager he could then see the drive (but couldn't before) but not anything about it. From searching the internet it seems possible that something about the file system or partitioning has been changed and Windows can't recognise it?? It is also possible that the hdd itself is stuffed! I REALLY want to be able to retrieve my photos and videos if it is at all possible. Can I use TestDisk and/or PhotoRec to get my data back? If not, could someone please steer me in the right direction?
Thanks for any help you can give.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering files from HDD after connection to TV

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Please post all the information listed in http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Support

smudge

#3 Post by smudge »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. When I run testdisk the external hdd (which is plugged in using a JM20338 SATA USB Combo (at least that is what Device Manager says it is) does not appear in the list of drives at all so I am unable to run it.

When I go to Disk Management it shows up as 'Disk 3 Unknown Not Initialized' with no drive letter. I'm worried that if I initialize then it will wipe all data - if it hasn't already. Not sure what to do next - any suggestions?

Thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Does TestDisk see the disk if you connect it directly via SATA instead of using USB ?

smudge

#5 Post by smudge »

Hi again, Thanks very much for your attempts to help me. I have come to the conclusion that I am in way over my head and as the photos and videos are so precious to me I am going to bite the bullet, pay a lot of money and send to a professional recovery company. But thanks anyway.