Didn't complete all steps by"recovering a deleted partition"

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
reachgood

Didn't complete all steps by"recovering a deleted partition"

#1 Post by reachgood »

I was making this http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step (on windows 7 I was recovering a linux deleted partition,btw everything i deleted I found) . And my last steps were "write" and I rebooted the computer.But I was about the next step not , not so concerned by that "NTFS Boot sector recovery ", so I didn't make it. So as I said , after rebooting computer shown me that "No botable devices--strike F1 to retry boot , F2 for setup utility press F5to run onboard diagnostics". What should I do ? thanks :) *still not solved*

reachgood

Re: Didn't complete all steps by"recovering a deleted partit

#2 Post by reachgood »

Do you think that good idea is to make a default settings in bios ?After these steps , isn't it dangersous? I thought about reinstalling windows 7, if it only reinstalls windows(and linux disk remains) and then try to repair again disk.

Fiona

#3 Post by Fiona »

As long as you don't run any RAID, you can reset your BIOS.
Linux Superblock recovery is different to Windows NTFS-boot sector recovery.
Info:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/Advanced ... SuperBlock.
Maybe there is no necessity to change, modify anything to your boot sector nor superblock?
In testdisk you can set your right partition as bootable.
Easily check/mark your partition and use the right or left arrow key on your keyboard to set it to * (star as bootable).
At least you can check it.
Did you have Linux on your computer?
Have you had a bootmanager running?

Please note, you should distinguish do I have a boot problem or do I want to recocver data?

More info are appreciated.

Fiona

reachgood

#4 Post by reachgood »

My previous state was I had only Linux Ubuntu 12.04. Then I parallely installed a windows 7 and not willingly(without even realizing that,making some changes with partition) I deleted a Linux partition. So after installing Win 7 I found out I have no boot option to choose Linux . I couldn't find that partition. So after using testdisk , I saved/recovered/ one personal document, just for try it is working. And using all steps as I said step by step, I was trying to recover whole Linux partition back . So I made all steps without that last 3 . Than restarted ,and computer said me that message :"no bootable device". I was not using a boootmanager. I will wait on your response :)

reachgood

#5 Post by reachgood »

After posting my previous reply , do you think it's safe for me to just set bios to default ? What could happen or , what should I look for if there can be some dangers?

reachgood

#6 Post by reachgood »

I found ->" bootrec.exe /FixBoot " to use in command promt in system recovery options (here you can see in the pictures http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-fi ... ss-any-key), what do you think about it in my case ? I don't wanna try that cause I don't know what can happen.