.raf files Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kplyness

.raf files

#1 Post by kplyness »

I'm using an NTFS formatted external hard drive on my mac, and accidentally copied a folder of images over another folder (thinking that it worked like Windows and would just add files to the folder). The images were mostly .raf files (Fuji raw files). photorec seems to be recovering the files, but all of the files in the recovery folder are the wrong size (they are all identical 893 KB files) and don't have the data from the image file. Am I missing something in the application that would help with this?

Thanks,
Kevin

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: .raf files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Do you have the problem with PhotoRec 6.14 ? If it's the case, please send me an unmodified photo taken by your digital camera. I will check why the filesize is wrong.

kplyness

#3 Post by kplyness »

Yes, I'm using 6.14.

Here is an example of the type of file I'm trying to recover.

By the way, when I observe the files being written to the directory by photorec, it first seems to think the file is a .tif file, and so it starts to write it as a .tif file with a large size (up to several MB), but then that file disappears from the recovery directory, replaced with the too small .raf file.

Thanks for the help!

p.s., I can't tell if the attachment is here or not. I've selected a file to upload, but I don't see it in the post.

kplyness

#4 Post by kplyness »

By the way, I've also tried to use my windows-based machine, and I'm getting the same 872KB files.

I've sent copies of the .raf files I'm using and a sample of the recovered file via email. Any luck in figuring out what might be going on?

cgrenier
Site Admin

#5 Post by cgrenier »

I have uploaded a new 7.0-WIP that fix the problem (at least on the sample you send me). Can you test it ?

kplyness

#6 Post by kplyness »

I look forward to trying the new version, but I won't be able to test it until Monday. I'll let you know how it goes then.

Thanks very much for the update!

kplyness

#7 Post by kplyness »

This version (7.0) is much better and is recovering a number of files that are readable. However, it's also recovering files with a wide range of file sizes--all of my regular .raf files are 25,534KB in size. PhotoRec recovered a large number of files that were 25,536KB, and LIghtroom has been able to read these files. However, there were quite a few more files that were either larger or smaller than this (ranging from 3 MB to 51MB, with may files being exactly 51072KB). LIghtroom seems to recognize and can pull a preview from the files that are larger than they are supposed to be, but none of the files that were smaller are being recognized (not surprisingly). Some of the files seem to be working o.k. in Lightroom while others run into problems.

One major problem, however, is that PhotoRec created a file (with an .raf extension) that is over 274GB in size (it stopped when it ran out of hard drive space).

kplyness

#8 Post by kplyness »

Now that I've had a chance to run version 7 on both mac and pc I'm finding many (most) of the files are too large or too small and that the vast majority are corrupted. Is there any chance I could send in some more files for analysis? What would you need? I really have appreciated the help so far, and I've been able to recover some images, which has been great.

Thanks,
Kevin

cgrenier
Site Admin

#9 Post by cgrenier »

I have uploaded a new 7.0-WIP that checks the RAF file size. Can you test it ?

kplyness

#10 Post by kplyness »

This has made a huge difference. While a few files appear corrupted, the vast majority appear to have been successfully recovered. The first 25 or so files were all corrupted, but it looks like everything after that was fine, so I suspect those files had been partially overwritten already. All the .raf files recovered are the correct size now.

Thanks!