Reformatted 4tb WD My Cloud

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
riderz49

Reformatted 4tb WD My Cloud

#1 Post by riderz49 »

I have a first gen. 4tb WD My Cloud divided into two shares. I accidently reformated the drive using the WD interface. I want to use TestDisk to recover, but I'm not having much luck. I've tried using a Linux live CD, but got a string of errors and had to abandon ship. I then tried to use TestDisk in Win10. I have no clue about how to interpret the partition structure display. The first two entries on the list are "Linux Raid" partitions, both primary. I assume these are the two shares, but you know what they say about assumptions. Following those entries is the message, "No FAT, NTFS, ext@, JFS, Reiser, cramfs or XFS marker." The next three entries are "MS Data," followed by the same message. Those are followed by two more "MS Data" entries and then, "No FAT, ...." And that sequence is repeated three more times. (If I knew how, I'd attach a screenshot.)

I'm in the deep end, so any help would be appreciated. Thank-you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Reformatted 4tb WD My Cloud

#2 Post by cgrenier »

You should use PhotoRec to recover your lost data, not TestDisk.
It will not recover the original filenames. Be careful to store the recovered files on another disk than your 4TB WD.