Recover Partition onto Another Drive

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
silver

Recover Partition onto Another Drive

#1 Post by silver »

I've looked over the wiki and forums and can't seem to find a specific answer to my situation.

I deleted a volume by accident, so I unplugged the drive and did nothing until I found this program. I then started testdisk and did a quicksearch, got to the part where it said partitions can't be recovered, then clicked enter on the first of 2 options. This gave me a list of 7 partitions to choose, from, of which the first partition is obviously the correct one based on size in sectors (it is exactly the same size as the deleted volume of 861.6 GB).

Now I want to "clone" this partition to another drive. Is there any way to do this? Or is there any way to clone the deleted volume drive (because the volume is deleted, so it may not show up), so that when I restore it on this drive I have a back up for just in case? Or does this just rewrite the partition table, and my data should be 'safe' even if it incorrectly writes somehow?

I would post the log, but I believe it isn't relevant for this question. If you need it though I can, also I can post an image but I accidentally went to the main menu re-initiated a quick search.

Thanks in advance.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recover Partition onto Another Drive

#2 Post by cgrenier »

After Analyze, Quick Search and/or Deeper Search Search, TestDisk rewrites the partition table and doesn't modify the partition content when you choose Write.

If you want to clone the lost partition, clone the disk using ddrescue as described in https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Once it's done, remove the original disk and use TestDisk to recover the partition on the clone.