Nested Zip Files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
thurstylark

Nested Zip Files

#1 Post by thurstylark »

I'm trying to recover some zip files from a partition that used to be NTFS. Specifically, these files are products of archives that are created by Crestron SIMPL Windows and VTPro-e, which produce zip archives that contain other zip archives.

When I ran photorec on the partition in question (searching for zip archives only), I was able to retrieve one zip archive that I made manually with zip(1) and had .zip as a file extension, but was unable to retrieve any other zip archive, including other zip archives that I made manually with zip(1), but did not have a file extension of .zip.

I have tested similar files with fidentify, and they all come back as "zip" (including one file that I *know* should be on the partition, but was not recovered).

Is it possible that photorec might be confused by nested zips? Is there anything else I should try to recover these files?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Nested Zip Files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

I have created a nested zip file and successfully recovered it with PhotoRec 7.2-WIP.
Did you use latest 7.2-WIP version ?
Can you share a zip file created by Crestron SIMPL Windows and VTPro-e ?