HDD recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
iscsi

HDD recovery

#1 Post by iscsi »

Hi,

Unfortunately I f@cked up my linux hdd-s under windows, so now I would like to recover. These 2 HDD are the same 2 TB hdd disk, and had only one (probably ext4) partition just storing photos. Actually one of those has just stored some not important things.

I've try to use testdisk, when I select the None media type and analyze it shows this (quick search result):

Disk /dev/sdb - 2000 GB / 1863 GiB - CHS 243201 255 63
Partition Start End Size in sectors
>P ext4 0 0 1 243201 80 63 3907029168 [Photo2]
Structure: Ok.

when I press continue here, I've got this error message:

Write isn't available because the partition table type "None" has been selected. Other types gives some microsoft related results, so I am just not sure which type should I choose.

This is the analyze log: https://jpst.it/2oRVz. Could you help me what can I do? Thanks

recuperation

Re: HDD recovery

#2 Post by recuperation »

iscsi wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 16:48 Hi,

Unfortunately I f@cked up my linux hdd-s under windows, so now I would like to recover. These 2 HDD are the same 2 TB hdd disk, and had only one (probably ext4) partition just storing photos. Actually one of those has just stored some not important things.

I've try to use testdisk, when I select the None media type and analyze it shows this (quick search result):

Disk /dev/sdb - 2000 GB / 1863 GiB - CHS 243201 255 63
>P ext4 0 0 1 243201 80 63 3907029168 [Photo2]
Structure: Ok.

when I press continue here, I've got this error message:

Write isn't available because the partition table type "None" has been selected. Other types gives some microsoft related results, so I am just not sure which type should I choose.

This is the analyze log: https://jpst.it/2oRVz. Could you help me what can I do? Thanks
It confuses me that the partition starts at CHS 0 0 1. Usually you would find a MBR structure at CHS 0 0 1 sometimes followed by a GPT. I would have expected the partition to start a little bit later.
You could run the deep search or already start selection the partition and using the "p"-key to list files inside. If that works you can start extracting files and folders from within Testdisk and write them to anothery recovery drive.

iscsi

#3 Post by iscsi »

Thank you for the answer.

The P simply sais : No file found, filesystem may be damaged. (on both disk)

So I had a 2TB ext4 partition (there was no OS on it just data), and under the windows in the disk managment I accidentaly set some logging this drives which devastate the partition table if I understand correctly. I think what I shared that is the deep search log (on the . But after the deepsearch I cannot correct the partition table, in the none media type mode (it is shows this structure Ok.) , it says its not possible in this mode, the Intel mode there are no partition offer to set, I've got an empty list after that. The photorec shows this:

Unknown 0 0 1 243201 80 63 3907029168 [Whole disk]
> P ext4 0 0 1 243201 80 63 3907029168 [Photo]

and it seems I can recover files with this, but I dont know can I fix the filesystem somehow?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Recovery software is typically extracting from a broken file system and not repairing.
If you want to go beyond what recovery software does you will have to learn ext4, use a hexeditor and program stuff.
To answer you question: Yes, it might be possible.

iscsi

#5 Post by iscsi »

Thank you for your help! Could you help me how to start or "just" read how the ext4 works is enough? I guess there are no software what I can try. I dont know how can I figure out the chances that I can fix this, but do you know some similar cases blogs what I can read to I can see the odds?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

iscsi wrote: 24 Jan 2021, 14:00 Thank you for your help! Could you help me how to start or "just" read how the ext4 works is enough? I guess there are no software what I can try. I dont know how can I figure out the chances that I can fix this, but do you know some similar cases blogs what I can read to I can see the odds?
What is really annoying me is the repeating question about chances. Who am I to tell you if it's worth repairing your broken car? You might as well ask me about you having a medical treatment or not.
Typically case descriptions are pretty incomplete and partly wrong. Talking about chances of recovery is a waste of time. There are situations relating to encryption where recovery is impossible. Once that issue becomes obvious you will be told about it.

If your time is so valuable that you don't want to bother trying use a professional recovery company. They are happy to help you out.

The more simple questions someone raises in this forum that could have been answered by 1. reading the manual 2. reading the site documentation 3. searching on the internet, even reading wikipedia the less the chances are that he will learn something because he wants to receive recipes and not knowledge. The hard facts are that he either doesn't understand what he read or he did not even try reading.

The relevant knowledge has to be acquired by self-studying. That involves internet research and library research.
ext4 is open-source and documented so can start instantaneously.
or "just" read how the ext4 works is enough
? Sorry, please speak plain English to me.
similar cases blogs
I am not aware of any blogs.

iscsi

#7 Post by iscsi »

I am really sorry I've made you annoyed. Thank you for your help!