Deleted, formatted, then deleted partition. Can I still recover data from before first delete?

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
skorpien

Deleted, formatted, then deleted partition. Can I still recover data from before first delete?

#1 Post by skorpien »

Hey folks,

I was messing around with Linux trying to repair a corrupt SSD when I accidentally deleted my other, non corrupt, primary Windows partition.

I ended up creating a new partition before realizing what I had done. I ran testdisk and was able to see the files, but I didn't end up writing the partition table back to the drive.

Instead, I ended up deleting the partition a second time. Now when I run testdisk, it only shows the recently deleted partition/files and not the files from before.

Am I out of luck or is there a way to tell testdisk to recover older partitions?

Thanks in advance!

recuperation

Re: Deleted, formatted, then deleted partition. Can I still recover data from before first delete?

#2 Post by recuperation »

Did you run deep search?

skorpien

Re: Deleted, formatted, then deleted partition. Can I still recover data from before first delete?

#3 Post by skorpien »

Thanks for the reply :)

I did run a deep search, but I didn't create a log. I'm running it again now and will upload the log when it finishes.

I'll include the screenshots from the quick scan though.

This is the partition that can't be recovered. I believe this is the one that contains all my files.
Screenshot from 2021-07-08 18-28-39.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-08 18-28-39.png (54.31 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
The two MS Data partitions that show up on the quick search don't contain the files I need. I think they're the partition that overwrote the one I want to recover.
Screenshot from 2021-07-08 18-29-35.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-08 18-29-35.png (75.4 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
When I list the files this is all that shows up.
Screenshot from 2021-07-08 19-20-18.png
Screenshot from 2021-07-08 19-20-18.png (54.23 KiB) Viewed 4762 times

skorpien

#4 Post by skorpien »

My apologies, I tried to use pastebin but it was having issues with the file. I had to use dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhq21c2bagafc ... k.log?dl=0

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

Please check all partitions found after deep search finishes with the "p"-key.
If that fails use Photorec or any commercial software.