Recovering files from a corrupted HD

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
SergeantRho01

Recovering files from a corrupted HD

#1 Post by SergeantRho01 »

I had done an backup of my files from a Win 10 HD to a Win 7 HD. But because of a problem that i was unaware of, the Win 7 HD crashed. Not only i lost all my backup files and windows won't boot anymore, as the HD became only detectable by the BIOS. It won't display on windows. But, with a software tool, i reformated the HD. It was the only thing i do after the crash.

I tried Stellar Data Recovery and instead of retrieving my files the program give me a lot of unusable archives [Raw Data - DVM; DWG; FLC (a lot of those); PGM; WP] the size of my backup.

Is there a way to retrieve my files? I lost an journal that has sensitive information. Can anyone help me?

recuperation

Re: Recovering files from a corrupted HD

#2 Post by recuperation »

SergeantRho01 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 05:36 I had done an backup of my files from a Win 10 HD to a Win 7 HD. But because of a problem that i was unaware of, the Win 7 HD crashed. Not only i lost all my backup files and windows won't boot anymore,
Which windows? On which hard disk? What do you mean by "Win 7 HD"?
as the HD
Again, which one?!
became only detectable by the BIOS. It won't display on windows. But, with a software tool
How did you run a secret software tool if your drive did not boot?
, i reformated the HD.
Formating is deleting, not repairing.
It was the only thing i do after the crash.

I tried Stellar Data Recovery and instead of retrieving my files the program give me a lot of unusable archives [Raw Data - DVM; DWG; FLC (a lot of those); PGM; WP] the size of my backup.

Is there a way to retrieve my files?
You can try other tools like Testdisk, Photorec and commercial software.
I lost an journal that has sensitive information.
How does that play a role for recovery?

SergeantRho01

#3 Post by SergeantRho01 »

I'm answering your questions one by one

I had 2 HDs. One with 1TB capacity with Win 10 installed (the Win 10 HD) and the other with 500GB capacity with Win 7 installed (the Win 7 HD). I lost the files on the Win 7 HD.

The one i lost the files was Win 7 HD as i explained above.

My Win 7 HD (the one who crashed) was recognized in BIOS but not on archive explorer (i put the Win 7 HD on a different computer). I used Stellar Data Recovery but the software managed only to recover unreadable files.

With Disk Management i formatted the Win 7 HD. This was the only step i did in the HD after it crashed.

Your last question i will not be answering because it was rude. I had important information that i lost. Show some compassion.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

SergeantRho01 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 21:27 Your last question i will not be answering because it was rude. I had important information that i lost. Show some compassion.
That is just your personal opinion. If somebody calling himself "Sergeant..." is talking about lost sensitive information on a hard drive one could reasonably assume that he can't bring in that drive to a professional recovery service because it may contain data as secret as the SIOP - and this fact plays a role in recovery.

Furthermore, in times of cheap storage I won't fake compassion feelings towards somebody who missed to use backups.
I don't understand your problem after a backup operation now that your target (backup) is broken but your source (Win10 drive) is not.

When considering using Photorec you should verify if the file format (.doc*, .xls*) of your sensitive data is supported by Photorec.