Help choosing recovery partition options

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
rloa

Help choosing recovery partition options

#1 Post by rloa »

Hi everybody !

I've corrupted my sdd drive with clonezilla while trying to clone Ubuntu from one partition from a hdd drive to a partition on the ssd. In the procces it returned a error: failed to found sdb5. After that, all my list boot options that I had on the bios dissapeared. On my ssd I already had an Ubuntu brand new installation, but I decided to clone on this partition my old ubuntu which is on the hdd to avoid reinstalling everyhing. So, at the end I had, a Windows 10 and two Ubuntu os listed on GRUB.

On the ssd drive I have my main Os which is windows 10. Looking for solutions I found that may be an partition corruption problem and that I shoud use TestDisk. From a pendrive , I launched Ubuntu, installed Testdisk, selected my ssd disk, then EFI GPT partition, then I did a quick search, I found a partition MS DATA, then, I selected enter and all these new partitions appeared. (photo). From this point, I'dont know that to do to recover my ssd. I don't know which option should I use . It's a asus rog laptop. I remember that on the ssd disk besided the main C volume, I had another one that came with the laptop, it's an smaller partition. From what I found it my be the booter or something related to it.

Thanks in advanced . Sorry for my bad english

Photo
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d75iVh ... sp=sharing

13.9.2021 13:23 modification by recuperation: Uploaded external image
Attachments
image.png
image.png (104.8 KiB) Viewed 1764 times

recuperation

Re: Help choosing recovery partition options

#2 Post by recuperation »

Select each partition found and use the p-key "list files" to search for content you want to recover. If unsuccesful, continue with a deep search and repeat.
When still being unsuccesful, use Photorec or any other recovery software.

rloa

#3 Post by rloa »

recuperation wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 12:27 Select each partition found and use the p-key "list files" to search for content you want to recover. If unsuccesful, continue with a deep search and repeat.
When still being unsuccesful, use Photorec or any other recovery software.
Yes, the first two partition are the same, they has the main files you find in windows ( program files ,windows , users , ....), then The EFI System [EFI System Partition], there is files on it, and there is also MS DATA [boot] which also has files. The other ones are empty.

So, in that case what should I do?

Thanks in advanced

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Copy the content you want to recover within the "list files" function.

rloa

#5 Post by rloa »

recuperation wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 19:22 Copy the content you want to recover within the "list files" function.
ok, atfer that, is there anyway I can recover all the partitions from that drive? Or do i have to reinstall everything? and what about the options ? primary, boot..

thanks

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

rloa wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 19:40
recuperation wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 19:22 Copy the content you want to recover within the "list files" function.
ok, atfer that,
What is "atfer"?!

is there anyway I can recover all the partitions from that drive? Or do i have to reinstall everything? and what about the options ? primary, boot..

thanks
You can copy the content of your readable partition to an external drive.
You could write a new partition table HOPING that your operating systems works fine with the new setup. Depending on the file system used, the use of chkdsk or similar software for other file systems may be necessary.

I do NOT support repairing your installation.
First, I don't have the experience with Windows 10. I have dual-boot experience but in an environment with the old school bios and a linux boot manager.
But with the introduction of EFI, GPT, CSMs and other subjects there are too many possibilities to fail.
In addition to that given the lack of users to properly describe their setting I see no added value in sacrifying my valuable time to try to rescue an installation that you can easily redo by installing everything again.

The options you quote apply to installations with the old starting mechanisms and not to the modern one used in your case.