Can Photorec run twice on the same HD?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
chanchochoncho

Can Photorec run twice on the same HD?

#1 Post by chanchochoncho »

Hello. So I tried to recover some files from my HD. But the result was this
Screenshot from 2021-09-13 01-17-25.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-13 01-17-25.png (46.98 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
Only seven files from which one is a gz file of 999.7 gb and when I open it theres is only this:
Screenshot from 2021-09-13 01-17-45.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-13 01-17-45.png (17.36 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
What worries me is that I had already tried to recover my files from this HD, but my destination exceeded its capacity so I had to stop the recovery, And now I tried again with a new HD for destination and this happened. I mean, shouldn't it had been the same as before? Did Photorec chage anything and now it can't recover the same files it recoreved last time? Is it possible that my first attempt affected the HD?
I'm guessing that even if I extract that 1TB gz file, It'll be nothing, just nonsense file, Right?
Thanks in advance.

recuperation

Re: Can Photorec run twice on the same HD?

#2 Post by recuperation »

chanchochoncho wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 07:26 Hello. So I tried to recover some files from my HD. But the result was this
Screenshot from 2021-09-13 01-17-25.png
Only seven files from which one is a gz file of 999.7 gb and when I open it theres is only this:
Screenshot from 2021-09-13 01-17-45.png

What worries me is that I had already tried to recover my files from this HD, but my destination exceeded its capacity so I had to stop the recovery, And now I tried again with a new HD for destination and this happened. I mean, shouldn't it had been the same as before? Did Photorec chage anything and now it can't recover the same files it recoreved last time?
Photorec has its own log file labeled "photorec.ses" which is located in the program folder of Testdisk (where the Photorec-Executable resides). If you stop your Photorec recovery, leave the Photorec program and restart Photorec you will be asked: "Continue previous session? (Y/N)". To start a new session click "n" for "no".

Is it possible that my first attempt affected the HD?
If you have a degrading disk running any software using the disk might result in further degradation. That's why I always recommend checking SMART parameters and maybe duplicating the drive. A healthy duplicate does not degrade when using Photorec.
I'm guessing that even if I extract that 1TB gz file, It'll be nothing, just nonsense file, Right?
For crystal ball enquiries please consult with a professional foreseeing service. I have no idea if you had a 1tb gz file or not. I can't make you save the time from looking into the archive if you don't know yourself.

chanchochoncho

Re: Can Photorec run twice on the same HD?

#3 Post by chanchochoncho »

Thank you very much.
I tried to recover again. First selected a partition apparently found by testdik. But 0 files were recovered. It's weird. Because I hadn't touched the HD with any software other than Test Disk or PhotoRec.
I didn't have a .gz file :D Hahaha, so yeah, I guess black magic is wath I need.
Thank you for you answers. Really appreciate it.