Dual Boot Nightmare: Recovering from a failed dual boot

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mentablack

Dual Boot Nightmare: Recovering from a failed dual boot

#1 Post by mentablack »

Its been a week since I tried dual booting my Windows 10 laptop with Ubuntu. Windows 10 was working as usual and when I installed Ubuntu and chose Install along side windows. My ssd got corrupted.

I got the Automatic Repair Loop but I can still boot ubuntu and for the past few days I researched about how to repair it ( I didn't know anything about repairing my ssd ) from chkdsk, rebuilding the bcd in order fix booting issues, clearing attributes and even formatting it completely but failed. After I did all of that even my ubuntu didn't boot anymore instead it went to MINIMAL BASH-LIKE Line editing screen ( I don't know much about Linux ) .

I tried reinstalling fresh windows on the SSD still failed to format. Tried reinstalling windows on my other drive which is a Hard drive but it wont let me install it still got errors. Eventually I removed the SSD and tried installing it again on my Hard drive and surprisingly I installed windows without a hitch.

So I got my fresh windows and decided to repair my SSD again. Since I dont have an SSD enclosure I inserted it back to the SSD M.2 slot and tried fixing it in Disk management. But I couldn't do anything about it because it was read-only

Tried clearing attributes again but it didn't also help.
b.PNG
b.PNG (134.63 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
Finally I got to here and repairing my ssd using testdisk. Here is what I did .
This is the status of my ssd according to Crystal disk info
a.PNG
a.PNG (111.69 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

After analyzing in test test since its in EFI GPT
this is the result
c.PNG
c.PNG (93.12 KiB) Viewed 2576 times
I continued on and I found out that I had 2 partitions that are 250GB one for windows and one for ubuntu. I don't really mind about the Ubuntu but I need to recover the files in windows. Tried writing it but testdisk tells me Partition: write error. I could see the correct list of files and tried copying them but it also failed.

I tried also using Deep search but I cannot identify if is working normally or it stopped working because It got to a point where I think it was stuck and I could not press stop so I closed the testdisk window.

So here I am now asking for help on how to approach this. Is my ssd dead or can it still be recovered ?
Last edited by mentablack on 31 Oct 2021, 00:23, edited 2 times in total.

recuperation

Re: Dual Boot Nightmare: Recovering from a failed dual boot

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please repair your broken posting by uploading your invisible pictures using the attachment tab that appears on the bottom of the forum when you edit your posting.

mentablack

#3 Post by mentablack »

thank you

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Your title is "recovering..." but in your text you speak about repairing. I can't help you in repairing a physically dammaged drive and don't support extensive repair of a dammaged file system.

Although I don't have experience with NVM type SSD storage the SMART attributs 0E anf 0F suggests that your drive is broken and switched into read only mode.

Please publish a SMART report as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10910

I would duplicate the drive as described in the manual and try to recover content from the duplicate.

It appears that you tried to write the selected file onto the broken NVM type SSD:
Tried writing it but testdisk tells me Partition: write error. I could see the correct list of files and tried copying them but it also failed.
If you had chosen a different and healthy storage location to write the files to it might have worked.