Can't backup BS Topic is solved

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mqklin

Can't backup BS

#1 Post by mqklin »

Hello. Trying to recover my SD card.

Choosing suggested Intel as partition table type
There is only one line: > 1 P HPFS - NTFS
Then I go to Advanced - Type - FAT32 LBA (New partition type [ current 07 ]) - exFAT (because AFAIK my SD card uses exFAT)
Then I go to Boot, and it shows:
Boot Sector - Bad
Backup boot record - exFAT OK
Sectors are not identical
Then I select Backup BS (Copy backup exFAT boot record over main boot record, confirm? YES)
After that nothing changes. (List shows: Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged.)

I also tried use EPI GPT as partition table.
Analysis - Quick Search found >P MS Data partition. List shows exactly the files that I have on this SD.
Then I choose Write partition structure to the disk (Write partition table, confirm? YES - You will have to reboot for the change to take effect).
Advanced shows: No partition available.
After reboot nothing changes.

I feel that I'm close to the happy end, what should I do?

recuperation

Re: Can't backup BS

#2 Post by recuperation »

Simply use the list "files" function to recover your stuff.
Your card may be physically dammaged and as long as you have not excluded this possibility there is no use in trying to repair any partition or file system related structure on the card.

mqklin

#3 Post by mqklin »

This problem appeared when I was transferring files from this SD card to my Mac mini (but it was OK when I used Windows). A couple of files were okay, but then it started being ejected many times (I had to unplug-plug again), and in the end Mac (and after that Windows) couldn't recognise it at all. Seems like my Mac "corrupted" SD card. Do you have any ideas what happened (and maybe how to fix it)?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Use the SD card on your Windows system if your SD card behaves normally. Use the copy function below "list files" to copy your files. If that fails use Photorec.

After having recovered your files you can format your SD card and use a program like h2testw on Windows to check for errors.

mqklin

#5 Post by mqklin »

Thanks you for the answers. I'll try.

mqklin

#6 Post by mqklin »

Finally I created an image (image.dd) and made [Backup BS] on it. Then I mounted this image to my OS and copied all the files from it. Thank you very much!

p.s. copying files with "List files" didn't work for some reason (files were corrupted)