GPT partition: EaseUS finds it in seconds, TestDrive not at all

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
CDmikelis

GPT partition: EaseUS finds it in seconds, TestDrive not at all

#1 Post by CDmikelis »

So hello for the 1st time. I Spent more time retriving 70 GB video than it would took me to render it again. But I succeeded :D

The annoying thing is EaseUS Data Recovery Software finds my video in seconds, give me visual preview, full name, etc. Literally all other software I tested, either does not find the particular file or restore it corrupted (can't be opened) - TestDrive included. I managed to rescue file with PhotoRec, but of course it took some time and there was no name.

What happened:
I deleted 70 GB PRORES MOV FILE. File to large for recycle bin. So I started TestDrive. It returned me all sort of files that vere deleted a long while ago, but not file that was deleted minute ago. It was a GPT external drive.

I tried Recuva: It did not find anything at all. Only after deepscan, thousands of file, including 70GB one. Restore it without name, and corrupted. In fact I never had any luck with Recuva, unless files were in recycle bin (I do not need Recuva for that). I installed EaseUS which took just few seconds to scan all drives, than found my file(s) instantly with full name(s), and giving me a preview. I tried also other undelete/restore programs, but none give me that file. A PuranUndelete came closer. While EaseUS found two instances of file (one with 0 bytes and one 70GB), Puran only found that one with 0 bytes. Other programs just found as much as TestDrive, nothing more; a folder with photos deleted years ago, but no that last deleted file. A deep scan(s) only result of thousands of files that were century old.

After all I used PhotoRec and masked file type to *.MOV and let it go. It restored tens of (corrupted) MOV files from a past and also perfectly fine last deleted BIGONE. Fine. I could stop deep scan, there, since file was mostly the only on drive, so at the beginning and not fragmented.

QUESTION: IS there a GPT problem, since I tried undelete smaller mov files other drives for testing, and TestDrive always found all files and names instantly; but those files were smaller. Still I deleted them SHIFT+DEL, so they did not go into RecycleBin.

If that so, I will stop using GPT ... and go back to MBR. The offending drive is 750 GB only. Having no names is annoying. This time I perfectly knew what I deleted. Some kind of workaround is to run EaseUS to find files, and it's names, than rescue them and rename them. Cumbersome. In the end, having them is still better than loosing them. So Thank you all!

For information how/where files were been shown with this program:
EaseUS return this structure:
GPT DRIVE:
|
| -> DELETED FILES
|     |-> Recycle Bin
|     |-> Deleted folder (with photos)
|     |-> list of deleted files from root of drive (where my video files was)
|
|-> LOST FILES
|     |-> several subfolder per each extension (with files in it)
|
|-> EXISTING FILES
       |-> list of existing files in root

recuperation

Re: GPT partition: EaseUS finds it in seconds, TestDrive not at all

#2 Post by recuperation »

I strongly recommend you submitting your "Testdrive" experience at the Testdrive forum.
Unfortunately I don't have any experience using "Testdrive".