Repair withot data loss of unpartitioned external hard disk that went RAW

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
Pratik

Repair withot data loss of unpartitioned external hard disk that went RAW

#1 Post by Pratik »

My external hard drive suddenly went raw and it is not opening in windows. I have almost 300 gb important data there. It sometimes tells cyclic redundancy check and sometimes asks to format. It hangs on right click. I tried chkdsk from cmd. But its not available for raw disk. Is it possible to repair it, without formatting and loosing data, using TestDisk so that it comes back in NTFS? If yes, what are the steps? Should I select "none" or "intel" when it prompts to select partition type? Please help.

recuperation

Re: Repair withot data loss of unpartitioned external hard disk that went RAW

#2 Post by recuperation »

Pratik wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 05:17 My external hard drive suddenly went raw and it is not opening in windows.
I have almost 300 gb important data there. It sometimes tells cyclic redundancy check
screenshot?!

and sometimes asks to format. It hangs on right click. I tried chkdsk from cmd. But its not available for raw disk. Is it possible to repair it, without formatting and loosing data, using TestDisk so that it comes back in NTFS?
Sometimes.

If yes, what are the steps?
Wrong approach.
Should I select "none" or "intel" when it prompts to select partition type? Please help.
Incident is badly documented. Please answer the following questions!

1.Which operating systems can be booted from your computer where the incident happened?
List them all!

2. Which version of Testdisk do you use?

3.Do you prevent/reduce write access to the failed drive/file system?
[Yes/no]

4. If yes, how is that done?

[ ] I removed the failed drive and connected it to another computer (not linux) as an external drive => risky
[ ] I am using a live linux from a USB stick on the machine with the broken drive => good
[ ] I am booting a linux system on a different system and connect the drive externally once the linux finished booting => good

5. Is the broken drive a drive where an operating system resides on or is it a data drive?

6. What technology is your drive (HDD, SDD, USB stick, Compact Flash card, SD card,...)?

7. What is the size of your drive?

8. What is the maker of your failed drive?

9. What is the model?

10. Is the drive a "naked" one or does it come with a housing and a connector for a computer?

11. If possible, provide a logfile from smartmontools!

12. What has been the partitioning scheme used on the failed drive (MBR (old partition table style), GPT, Superfloppy)?

13. How many partitions have been on the broken drive, what was their size, what was their file system?

14. Is your drive visible in your operating system (Windows: Disk management, Linux use lsblk command, get information using hdparm command)

15. Is the partition scheme containing your partitions still visible?

14. Describe the supposed event when your system went from "OK" to "broken"!

15. Is your disk showing signs of failures such as
-clicking noises
-permanent reboot (spindel speed up followed by a stop)
-no spindel speed up
?