Partition Found, but unable to write it back

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
nicholaslosthisdata

Partition Found, but unable to write it back

#1 Post by nicholaslosthisdata »

So, I was advised to run TestDisk, found the partition that I had deleted, but I wasn't able to write the partition data back on the hard drive. I think the mistake lies in the fact that I selected "Logical" instead of the other options. Which one should I go for? https://imgur.com/a/8OJl3Dg(Screenshot was taken before I had selected logical that's why it's all Ds) Where did I go wrong? I know it is the last one for sure, because of the partition size. I know all of my files are in tact, because I ran Recuva earlier (it's crap, I know, don't judge me, haven't dealt with data recovery that much before and it was able to do the trick). Moreover, I'm not downloading anything to the Hard Drive, because I don't want to mess anything up(I got some common sense). To repeat myself, why wasn't I able to write the partition data ? (And yes, I've restared my PC as TestDisk advised). Forgot to mention that I got "No Partition Found", but I can see my files from the "List Files" Option.

recuperation

Re: Partition Found, but unable to write it back

#2 Post by recuperation »

I can only see a black picture behind your link. Please upload a more meaningful picture to this site using the "Attachments" on the bottom of the screen. Please post a Testdisk log file as well.

nicholaslosthisdata

#3 Post by nicholaslosthisdata »

Included picture of the partitions it found, of it listing the files, and the log
Attachments
ICANSEEMYSHIT.PNG
ICANSEEMYSHIT.PNG (11.01 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
testdisk.log
(5.62 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
post.PNG
post.PNG (11.87 KiB) Viewed 1238 times

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

nicholaslosthisdata wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 21:28 So, I was advised to run TestDisk, found the partition that I had deleted, but I wasn't able to write the partition data back on the hard drive. I think the mistake lies in the fact that I selected "Logical" instead of the other options. Which one should I go for? https://imgur.com/a/8OJl3Dg(Screenshot was taken before I had selected logical that's why it's all Ds) Where did I go wrong?
I really can't tell because you did not document what you did.
I know it is the last one for sure, because of the partition size. I know all of my files are in tact, because I ran Recuva earlier (it's crap, I know, don't judge me, haven't dealt with data recovery that much before and it was able to do the trick). Moreover, I'm not downloading anything to the Hard Drive, because I don't want to mess anything up(I got some common sense). To repeat myself, why wasn't I able to write the partition data ? (And yes, I've restared my PC as TestDisk advised). Forgot to mention that I got "No Partition Found", but I can see my files from the "List Files" Option.
The "list files" option returns specific information for each partition. Which partition does contain your files? " I know it is the last one for sure, because of the partition size." sounds convincing but does not have to be true.

nicholaslosthisdata

#5 Post by nicholaslosthisdata »

I figured out which one it is. This is how I got the List of files on there, the other partition just had a windows install on it. The figuring out process what that I ran TestDisk again and selected "List Files", didn't try this the first time.

nicholaslosthisdata

#6 Post by nicholaslosthisdata »

recuperation wrote: 09 Feb 2022, 23:10 I really can't tell because you did not document what you did.

I tried merging two partitions, when I tried to do so I got the error: The Selected GPT Formatted Disk Contains A Partition Which Is Not Of Type ‘PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID’, I used google advice thinking that it would affect only one of the partition(Used DiskPart and selected the exact partition I want converted, this is what led me to think it would be only one of one the partitions) and here I am.