Recoverying Synology Partition / Issues with @eaDir Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
SaveMyFilesPlz

Recoverying Synology Partition / Issues with @eaDir

#1 Post by SaveMyFilesPlz »

Hi, I'm attempting to recover files from a Synology NAS. It had 4 drives in a linux software RAID 5.
Using TestDisk, I'm able to find the partition and list the files which is great however when attempting to copy all folders/sub-folders, it never finishes. The total size of the raid is ~7.3TB and when selecting all and copying to an 8 TB USB drive, it fills up and many files are still missing. When trying to be a bit more selective, it does the same - even with a folder I know is only a few gigs. it will fill up the 8TB USB drive. I've narrowed the issue down to folders called @eaDir which is something synology creates to provide 'extended attributes' on files but not actually important to anything other than a synology device. (https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/17/post/4024)
If I select folders/files and exclude the @eaDir folders, the copy works as expected. For whatever reason, testdesk does not like these folders/files within them.
My current issue is that this NAS was used by many people and therefore has a lot of folders and sub folders and almost all of them contain an @eaDir folder within them meaning that I've been having to go way down into each folder and work my way back to avoid these problem folders and save many days of manual work.
I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction to either recover the partition table so it can be mounted normally in linux and I can delete all of the @eaDir folders and then copy to a USB drive or if there's a good way to copy files from the files list option in testdisk and have a bit of logic in it to exclude these folders when selecting from the root of the partition. There's no other backup so I'm nervous about trying to write the partition table.

Here's the 4 drives. DM2 is the mounted RAID5 but ubuntu is unable to determine the filesystem to be able to mount it

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recoverying Synology Partition / Issues with @eaDir

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Use 'h' to hide deleted files and try again to copy the files.
If it doesn't solve the problem, check the testdisk.log file. It should contain a dmsetup command that you can use the access your data directly.

Code: Select all

echo "0 17553186816 linear /dev/md2 144" | dmsetup create test0
mkdir /mnt/test0
mount -o ro /dev/mapper/test0 /mnt/test0
ls /mnt/test0

SaveMyFilesPlz

Re: Recoverying Synology Partition / Issues with @eaDir

#3 Post by SaveMyFilesPlz »

This worked! thank you so much! I hide the deleted files and was able to copy everything to an external drive. I do see the dmsetup command in the log file to try later.