Recovery of CS6 FLAs Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
CaptainHoers

Recovery of CS6 FLAs

#1 Post by CaptainHoers »

Hi,

I'm doing recovery operations to retrieve a flash project file and I followed the instructions from this board to enable the .doc extension, and while it did retrieve .fla files, it didn't retrieve any from more recently than about 2012, which is around the time that I switched from Macromedia Flash 8 to Adobe Flash CS6 (in fact the most recent project it found is the project during which I made the switch). I know it found other files from more recently than that, and those files didn't originate on the drive (it was bought in 2015), so I have to ask if this is a coincidence and I did something incorrectly, or did Adobe change something in the file headers when they acquired Macromedia that makes it different enough that Photorec doesn't recognise it? I should mention that the drive was originally formatted for Mac use (a detail I forgot until the recovery was already in progress), I don't know if that's relevant or not.

I've linked here the report.xml in case that's useful for diagnostics as well: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AM6IxQ ... sp=sharing

And also thanks for making such a useful piece of software! I found it recommended by multiple people and would heartily recommend it to anyone in my situation.

recuperation

Re: Recovery of CS6 FLAs

#2 Post by recuperation »

What is the file extension of the files you are looking for?

CaptainHoers

#3 Post by CaptainHoers »

It's .FLA.

CaptainHoers

#4 Post by CaptainHoers »

Oh also, for reference, the thread that gave me the advice I menteioned: viewtopic.php?t=1529

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

As far as I can see you did everything right.

Try writing some examples of this type of unfound fla-files onto an empty USB stick and try to recover them with Photorec. What is the result?

CaptainHoers

#6 Post by CaptainHoers »

That actually makes some sense - while waiting for your reply just now, I was investigating some of the other files it dug up, and I discovered a lot of SWF files had been recovered as SWC Flash Component files, and they can be easily unzipped and their contents opened normally, and I did encounter some bizarrely large doc files in the retrieval - some over 300mb. It is possible that those are actually the files I'm looking for, and the USB test could corroborate that. I'll do that and post my findings.

CaptainHoers

#7 Post by CaptainHoers »

It only spat out a couple of .db files, neither of which match the file size of the test file. However, by sheer brute force trial and error, I did encounter at least one of these large, unmarked .doc files that did open to a recognisable flash project file when the file extension was changed. At this point the specific file I'm looking for might still be in the results, it's just... going to take some time to find it.

CaptainHoers

#8 Post by CaptainHoers »

Combing through the mislabelled doc files, it appears the transition between Flash 8 and CS doesn't have anything to do with whether the recovered file comes out as the proper .fla or mislabelled as something else. It's beyond me what causes this to happen.

CaptainHoers

#9 Post by CaptainHoers »

Well, my original question was at least resolved. I think the drive I'm trying to get files off has other problems affecting the specific files I'm trying to get, but for the reference of anyone trying to (for some reason) recover Flash project files in the future, .FLAs can be recovered with their file extension changed to .DOC, and .SWFs can be recovered with their file extension changed to .SWC. There are also .DB files which clearly contain some kind of .FLA data but accessing that data is not as straightforward as changing the file extension.

Thanks again for such a useful and powerful tool!