run photorec backwards?

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
bnalohim

run photorec backwards?

#1 Post by bnalohim »

Hi all!

I need to recover one file from a disk I formatted, pitifully the online backup failed (google workspace problems) after I reinstalled linux on the laptop, but I haven't done much on it (and it was almost full before the reinstall) so I know the file I need is probably there.

My problem is the recovery process said it takes around 72 hours, the laptop is old and I the process halted at around 1/2-3/4 (three times now). The file is not there.

Is there anyway to start the process from the end of the disk? that way it would be no problem if I get an incomplete process as the entire disk would have being scanned! I suspect my file is near the end of the disk.

I thank you in advance for any reply!

recuperation

Re: run photorec backwards?

#2 Post by recuperation »

No, there is no backward running mode.
Fingerprints of files are typically located at the beginning of a file. The cluster that belong to a file are typically showing an increasing cluster number.
Therefore the mode of operation you would personally like is not useful at all.

Use smartmontools to check for possible unreadable sectors. Depending on the result it might be a good idea to duplicate your drive using ddrescue as described in the manual.
Once you have a working copy you can be sure that the work of Photorec is not delayed by unreadable sectors.

bnalohim

Re: run photorec backwards?

#3 Post by bnalohim »

Ok

I'll do it as you suggest! just need to find more disk space for the duplication

Thanks for your answer