Recovering Synology Partition

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mrviking

Recovering Synology Partition

#1 Post by mrviking »

Hey peeps,

I upgraded my NAS. Had two disks in 1 storage pool, but they were two (seperate) volumes. I copied files from one disk but I forgot to do it for the other. Long story short; I now have the other disk (with files sitting on it) but no way to gain access to the files.

I figured this out:

Volume 2 is the one I need, Volume 1 is the other disk (which I have copied).

I installed Linux and diskmanager tells me this:

I don't know which steps to follow with Testdisk.

So far I got:

selected the disk (/dev/sdd)
GPT (recommended)
Output:

Hit quick search, output:

Am at loss since the numbers (start position and ID(?) (1.41.12-2636) dont match. Any suggestions, ideas?

And now i'm kind of at a loss the start sectors are different from the windows app (1st screenshot).

If I select one of the options I get no partition found and need to do a deeper scan.

recuperation

Re: Recovering Synology Partition

#2 Post by recuperation »

mrviking wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 22:49 Hey peeps,

I upgraded my NAS. Had two disks in 1 storage pool, but they were two (seperate) volumes.
Unsufficient description. What kind of storage pool are you talking about? Microsoft Storage Space? MDADM? BTFS? ZFS? BCACHEFS?

I copied files from one disk
If you are using any storage pool scheme you create a layer above single disks. Typically you access files on that storage pool scheme where data is held in virtual volumnes. If you suddenly speak about "files from one disk" this sounds contrary to the use of storage pools.

but I forgot to do it for the other. Long story short; I now have the other disk (with files sitting on it) but no way to gain access to the files.
Please upload your files to this site using the "attachments" tab.

I figured this out:

Volume 2 is the one I need, Volume 1 is the other disk (which I have copied).

I installed Linux and diskmanager tells me this:

I don't know which steps to follow with Testdisk.
That depends on how you are adresing your storage.

mrviking

#3 Post by mrviking »

recuperation wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 00:11 Unsufficient description. What kind of storage pool are you talking about? Microsoft Storage Space? MDADM? BTFS? ZFS? BCACHEFS?

If you are using any storage pool scheme you create a layer above single disks. Typically you access files on that storage pool scheme where data is held in virtual volumnes. If you suddenly speak about "files from one disk" this sounds contrary to the use of storage pools.

That depends on how you are adresing your storage.
I kinda know what you mean. By using RAID you can create 1 virtual volume. I can't remember what I did back then because its been about 10 years since i installed the drives and set up the NAS.

What I do remember.. You had to create shares (folders) to put files in. They had locations (Volume1 or 2) and i had to keep in my mind the size of the share vs the size of the disk. So it most likely wasn't one pool. I think one might have been SRH (or something) but on its own.

I reckon it might also be just possible to assemble and force mount. But I tried following some steps, but I'm not that experienced with this stuff / Linux so that doesn't help. But the files should just be sitting on the disk.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

You can highlight each partition with the cursor and try out the "p"-key to trigger the function "list files" if you don't remember.
But if you created a volume using your storage pool you will have to use its virtual device name.