Recovering Large WAV Files (X Live Recordings)

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
frankrue

Recovering Large WAV Files (X Live Recordings)

#1 Post by frankrue »

Hello! I have an SD card that is used in an X_LIVE expansion port (Behringer WING or X32 digital sound board). It requires FAT32 format, and writes WAV files real-time to the card, up to 32-track interleaved file format. While it's doing this, it exceeds the 4gb imposed limit of the file system and so it creates, on-the-fly, new filenames to "continue" the stream.

When recovering from an SD card just today that seemed to lose its filenames for over 30+ files, the only files PhotoRec seems to recover are the <4gb ones. Even with "keep corrupted files" set to YES.

An additional data point is that, while the recover process is running, I see the WAV files build up (e.g., f13599624.wav) in my Finder (MacOS) where I've directed PhotoRec to store the recovered files. It builds to almost full size (3.5gb) while I watch. I can even "preview" the file and I can hear the audio perfectly, telling me the data is there and intact! But then, as soon as it gets to some point in the larger file, the file disappears from my folder, and is not in the report.xml.

The process is still running right now (400gb SD Card, so it'll go about 5 hours). Any idea how to STOP PhotoRec from deleting the file, or deciding it's invalid, or whatever the right terminology might be?

recuperation

Re: Recovering Large WAV Files (X Live Recordings)

#2 Post by recuperation »

What is the file system of your recovery target?
How much empty space is there?