TestDisk and PhotoRec are not detecting my drive

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
RecoveryJourney

TestDisk and PhotoRec are not detecting my drive

#1 Post by RecoveryJourney »

Hi All,

I "upgraded" my B460m DS3H mobo BIOS from version F3 to F5. When I did so my PC would not boot after the BIOS update initialized. It was frozen on the Gigabyte Boot screen. I figured my boot order was messed up so I turned off my PC and then unplugged my hard drive (2.5 inch Firecuda 2TB SSHD "ST2000LX001"). My PC then booted properly on my SSD with the OS and the BIOS updated.

Now the issue is that my PC cannot recognize my hard drive. If I try starting the PC while the hard drive is plugged in it will stay frozen on the Gigabyte Boot screen like before. If I load into my bios and then plug the drive in via SATA it will not be detected. Hot plug is enabled in the BIOS. If I load into Windows and then plug the drive in via SATA it will still not be detected. If I try to access the BIOS straight from Windows while the hard drive is plugged in it freezes on the Gigabyte Boot screen again.

I have plugged the hard drive into an external case and have plugged it into my PC and my laptop via USB. They both see it as Disk 1 but it's messed up. It says "Disk 1, Unknown, Not Initialized" and the partition space is blank, nothing is there. It doesn't say "unallocated", it's just empty.

When I load TestDisk and PhotoRec my drive is not detected. Only my main drive with the OS is listed. I am connecting my drive to my laptop via USB enclosure. I am unsure about how to proceed. Do I need to initialize my drive so I can use the software? Doesn't that delete the data that was stored on the drive? Thanks for any help in advance.

recuperation

Re: TestDisk and PhotoRec are not detecting my drive

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please contact a professional data recovery service.