file .hds overwritten

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
arisingtech

file .hds overwritten

#1 Post by arisingtech »

Hi,
I have a particular case and I hope you can help me.

Last days I am using parallels on mac, on a ssd usb format with exfat.
On ssd there is only 3 files, two not important (pdf and .exe of the factory usb) and 1 file .pvm... my virtual machine.

After a parallels procedure for oversize virtual hdd everything was lost!
No problem on ssd, no power lost and all file still on ssd, but the file .hdd and the corresponding file inside .hds was zero byte!

The file before was about 350 gb, ssd capacity is 500gb.

Is There a way to recover that file? Obviously inside the VM there are files that are important for me... it not necessary to recover all the VM but I try with other software and I can see the files and the dimensions are correct (I cannot found the .hds file, is because is still present on ssd even if with zero byte?), but when I recover the file is damage.

They are particular file .mdf and .accdb.

The ssd was untouch no file written on it after that. I only do and image file of the whole hd and out on other hd with the estensione .dmg

I hope someone can help me :(.

Regards,
Roberto

recuperation

Re: file .hds overwritten

#2 Post by recuperation »

Try using Photorec with the intention to find your nested database files.
Contact your software vendor.
If that fails contact a profesional recovery service.
arisingtech wrote: 25 Aug 2022, 11:48 Hi,
I have a particular case and I hope you can help me.

Last days I am using parallels on mac, on a ssd usb format with exfat.
On ssd there is only 3 files, two not important (pdf and .exe of the factory usb) and 1 file .pvm... my virtual machine.

After a parallels procedure for oversize virtual hdd everything was lost!
No problem on ssd, no power lost and all file still on ssd, but the file .hdd and the corresponding file inside .hds was zero byte!
I hope someone can help me :(.
The quality of help depends on the quality of description. You only talk about three files. Then you suddenly add aditional ones without any explanation. As your Mac OS is used by a minority of users, a good description is even more important.

arisingtech

#3 Post by arisingtech »

Bello,
I am sorry for my english first.
I try to explain better...
The problem is that I have a ssd with only one file on it a .pvm file (parallels) after a procedure of resize disk (that parallels permitted) the virtual machine crashed and my file overwritten by a empty one.
Obviously I contact them first but seems they know less than me... or they do not want to help me ...and if I am here ... I try to recover files by myself.

Photorec after search found a .hds file that (I supposed) contain the virtual machine (on .pvm there are other files, parallels says to rename it as .hdd, create a new machine and connect...but no fortune, no start) but I cannot mount it and I do not know if there is some software that can explore it.

I try testdisk and I find some files (.accd, .mdf that are the files I want to recover) but I can not read them... they are corrupted... (probably for annidation? .pvm > .hdd > .hds > NTFS (partiton) )

...and probably I do not use well the program.

I have the image of the disk for doing test... but I have also the real ssd and not use and no file write on it after that.

Really appreciate your help

Regards,
Roberto

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

arisingtech wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 14:08 Bello,
I am sorry for my english first.
I try to explain better...
The problem is that I have a ssd with only one file on it a .pvm file (parallels) after a procedure of resize disk (that parallels permitted) the virtual machine crashed and my file overwritten by a empty one.
Obviously I contact them first but seems they know less than me... or they do not want to help me ...and if I am here ... I try to recover files by myself.

Photorec after search found a .hds file that (I supposed) contain the virtual machine (on .pvm there are other files, parallels says to rename it as .hdd, create a new machine and connect...but no fortune, no start) but I cannot mount it and I do not know if there is some software that can explore it.

I try testdisk and I find some files (.accd, .mdf that are the files I want to recover) but I can not read them... they are corrupted... (probably for annidation? .pvm > .hdd > .hds > NTFS (partiton) )
I don't understand you especially when you write words that I don't find in a dictionnary.
https://dict.leo.org/englisch-deutsch/annidation

The part of your machine that is representing the disk, the hdd-file has a zero length.
The prerequisite to searching your database files is to reconstruct that hdd-file, decompress it into a regular disk image and search the content using Photorec.

You should ask a professional recovery service.

arisingtech

#5 Post by arisingtech »

I have recovered from disk .hds file but seems corrupted and I cannot mount it.

Any suggestion? Can I do something to recover, fix, or explore that file?

The file is 254GB size.

Can I mount it in some ways and the try to recover files inside with testdisk or photorec?

Regards
Roberto