handling data corruption from a hung exFat to NFTS conversion

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
sieger007

handling data corruption from a hung exFat to NFTS conversion

#1 Post by sieger007 »

After being hung on a protracted exFat to NTFS sloppy windows conversion..... each and every file other than text file are now corrupted in the sense that when I open a JPEG file, I get something to the tune of unexpected offset ya-da-ya . this is the direct result of failed conversion of existing content. New content if added though I will not add, is just fine on the existing NTFS newly converted file system
In test disk advanced options I tried to change the partition type but there is no other option that leads me to exFat & as I understand it is the same option as NTFS but the boot sector content makes them different. as I notice the backup boot sector condition is bad but the primary boot sector is ok.
please advise on how to retorate back to exFat the corrupt files can be so as to say "uncorrupted " or whatever other solution applies to the situation.
Thank You ✌️☮️

recuperation

Re: handling data corruption from a hung exFat to NFTS conversion

#2 Post by recuperation »

sieger007 wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 17:20 After being hung on a protracted exFat to NTFS sloppy windows conversion..... each and every file other than text file are now corrupted in the sense that when I open a JPEG file, I get something to the tune of unexpected offset ya-da-ya . this is the direct result of failed conversion of existing content. New content if added though I will not add, is just fine on the existing NTFS newly converted file system
In test disk advanced options I tried to change the partition type but there is no other option that leads me to exFat & as I understand it is the same option as NTFS but the boot sector content makes them different. as I notice the backup boot sector condition is bad but the primary boot sector is ok.
please advise on how to retorate back to exFat the corrupt files can be so as to say "uncorrupted " or whatever other solution applies to the situation.
Thank You ✌️☮️
Apart from using Photorec there is no solution for your problem here!

The conversion you tried to perform is too risky to undertake and you learnt it the hard way.
Unreadable setors, maybe inconsistencies in the file system and power outage provide plenty of opportunity to destroy your valuable data.

Instead of using a risky solution you should rather buy a second and a third drive, backup your first drive (source) to the second drive using a backup program, partition and format your third drive and then restore your backup file-wise (not overwriting the NTFS on your third drive) from the second drive to the third one that is using NTFS as file system(s).

Please ask the irresponsible company that programed your tool for help what to do now.

sieger007

#3 Post by sieger007 »

Last ray of hope ...is there any way I can get the partition to table to use the backup sector and get itself identified as exFAT instead of NTFS. Here in the screenshot there isn't a way to tell exFAT. Photorec is for deleted pics. These aren't deleted. They exist and have their original size as well , which is why I am a tad hopeful ..... but they have some kinda header ( ?) cos of exFAT to NTFS conversion cos when I try and open em I get this
Attachments
rrr.jpg(2).jpg
rrr.jpg(2).jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 1879 times
rprr.jpg(1).jpg
rprr.jpg(1).jpg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Please post your logfile.

Please replace your unreadable screenshots by ones that you saved as a png-file. Selecting contrasting colours and using a convenient screensize might enable me to read the screenshot without the need to dunk my head nearly into the LCD screen. Thank you!
sieger007 wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 20:53 Last ray of hope ...is there any way I can get the partition to table to use the backup sector and get itself identified as exFAT instead of NTFS. Here in the screenshot there isn't a way to tell exFAT.
True. I can't read anything about exFAT either because I can't read anything at all. See above!

Photorec is for deleted pics.
That is a big misinterpretation of the capabilities of Photorec.
Photorec is for storage where metadata is lost. Deletion is only a possible tiny sample application of Photorec and pictures are only a small subset of the file formats Photorec can recover.
These aren't deleted. They exist and have their original size as well , which is why I am a tad hopeful ..... but they have some kinda header ( ?) cos of exFAT to NTFS conversion cos when I try and open em I get this
Please use full English words when talking to me. Thank you!

sieger007

#5 Post by sieger007 »

here goes.....
Attachments
rprr.png
rprr.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
rprr2.png
rprr2.png (81.88 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
testdisk.log
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 123 times

sieger007

#6 Post by sieger007 »

recuperation wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 23:26 Please post your logfile.

Please replace your unreadable screenshots by ones that you saved as a png-file. Selecting contrasting colours and using a convenient screensize might enable me to read the screenshot without the need to dunk my head nearly into the LCD screen. Thank you!
sieger007 wrote: 05 Sep 2022, 20:53 Last ray of hope ...is there any way I can get the partition to table to use the backup sector and get itself identified as exFAT instead of NTFS. Here in the screenshot there isn't a way to tell exFAT.
True. I can't read anything about exFAT either because I can't read anything at all. See above!

Photorec is for deleted pics.
That is a big misinterpretation of the capabilities of Photorec.
Photorec is for storage where metadata is lost. Deletion is only a possible tiny sample application of Photorec and pictures are only a small subset of the file formats Photorec can recover.
These aren't deleted. They exist and have their original size as well , which is why I am a tad hopeful ..... but they have some kinda header ( ?) cos of exFAT to NTFS conversion cos when I try and open em I get this
Please use full English words when talking to me. Thank you!
Thanks for that useful clarification. But can Photorec handle, not deleted , but corrupted files , and help fix these. My problem is these files haven't vanished... as in a format or lost partition . They are there but due to the issue mentioned so , can't be read aka they have gone bad.

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

sieger007 wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 00:39 Thanks for that useful clarification. But can Photorec handle, not deleted , but corrupted files , and help fix these. My problem is these files haven't vanished... as in a format or lost partition . They are there but due to the issue mentioned so , can't be read aka they have gone bad.
Photorec can recover files that are not fragmented. Fragmented files are files whose content is saved kind of randomly all over your volume/partition.

If your files are fragmented it doesn't matter if they did not vanish once the associated metadata is broken. The metadata is for instance then information about the files' names and their location.
Your linux file system tried to open up a jpeg file but does not find a jpeg header at the beginning of the file.
The NTFS metadata in this case points to the wrong location.

When trying to open up any other file you will either get an error message or the file will seem to contain garbagge.

By the way, you can't convert a cat into a dog by putting a sticker labeled "dog" onto his forehead. This refers to your intentions of changing the file system type.

And if you make screenshots and save them as jpeg files and convert them into png-files afterwards does not remove the jpeg artefacts.
It is not difficult under linux to save a screenshot of a window preserving its original content. I have no idea how you managed to obfuscate every picture until now.

sieger007

#8 Post by sieger007 »

I used a very lite version of Linux and "tas" is my screenshot utilty ..sorry for giving your lens some flexing on reading those. Much appreciated the scrumptious explanation ....so take home 🏠from this is ....Photorec is my best bet and then there's not much hope in getting hold of those files. I will give it a go .