How to recover file with file name

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
r007c0d3

How to recover file with file name

#1 Post by r007c0d3 »

Hello,

I try to recover the lost partition with a testdisk. But the testdisk shows a message like the following partition can't be recovered.

After this, I try to use photorec. And I recover all pdf and image files with photorec.

But there is no filename there. I need to recover files with the filename.

I there any way or any other available tools which can help me to recover files with filename?

Thank you.

recuperation

Re: How to recover file with file name

#2 Post by recuperation »

If your partition still contains the necessary metadata or at least parts of it other tools may recover your files including folder hierarchy and file names. That is why I always recommend trying another (commercial) tool before running Photorec.
Photorec is the tool of last resort that should be used if others fail or you don't have the money to pay for a commercial tool.

r007c0d3

#3 Post by r007c0d3 »

recuperation wrote: 11 Jan 2023, 10:35 If your partition still contains the necessary metadata or at least parts of it other tools may recover your files including folder hierarchy and file names. That is why I always recommend trying another (commercial) tool before running Photorec.
Photorec is the tool of last resort that should be used if others fail or you don't have the money to pay for a commercial tool.
Can you give me some good commercial tools name, That I can use in Centos Linux? Those data are in the VPS server. And I connect the corrupted disk from the Attached drive to another VPS server.

Thank you.

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

There is a heavenly promoted list of recovery software by people who badmouth Testdisk on a regular basis:

https://www.reddit.com/r/datarecovery/c ... lity_data/

Joop van Steen also promotes/sells "ReclaimMe":

https://www.disktuna.com/

Joop does not seem to participate in badmouthing like the people above.

What makes the linked list interesting is that the software lists software with recovery abilities for more exotic file systems that the majority of recovery solutions can't handle.