Hard drives gone after Windows reinstall Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
muhndo

Hard drives gone after Windows reinstall

#1 Post by muhndo »

Hello together,

I have an extremely curious problem.
First of all, briefly about my setup.
Win 10 Pro new installation
1x NVMe SSD (operating system disk)
4x 3.5" HDD disks, 2x 2TB, 2x 4TB, all normally connected via SATA, all only one partition each.
The 2TB, were replaced by 16TB each.
The 4TB, both identical WD Blue, were left in the system. These are my two problem disks.
All disks are NTFS formatted.

Now to the case and my procedure itself.
A few days ago I decided to rebuild my computer and at the same time to install two new disks 3.5" HDD.
So I opened the case, marked all connectors and disks, unplugged everything and installed Windows 10 Pro, only with NVMe SSD connected.
After installation, I shut down the PC, rewired everything and booted it up again.
Off to Disk Management to format/partition the two new disks there, all without a problem, the new disks were there.
But what is this? Where are the two old disks? The ones I did nothing to at all!? They are not shown in the disk management anymore.
Ok ok, so let's go to the BIOS and have a look. Hmm both disks are recognized regularly.
Device manager? Both disks are recognized.
Disk management? Still nothing.
Explorer? Also nothing.
Strange, but well, Windows has probably damaged something, but I have not formatted anything, i.e. the data must still be there, no reason to worry.
Short check in the net, found miltiple entries about TestDisk, ok, let's give it a shot.

No sooner said than done, Testdisk also recognizes both disks.
So one of both analyzed (Quick) and at the end rewrote the partition table.
After a reboot, the disk can now be found at least in Disk Management, but split into 3 partitions and mostly RAW → useless for now.
The disk is also shown in the Explorer now, however, if I double click it, the only option I get is to format the disk → I'm not giving up this data yet ;)

I guess I made a mistake (or several?) and need help now.

I've attached some screenshots for clarification, they show the current state and how the disk is displayed in TestDisk after I analyze it again.

I hope that some disk guru is hiding here, that can help me with this for me really strange problem.
Please do not wonder, I disconnected one of the two disks. Let's just try to fix this one first.

Greetings

muhndo

Attachments
testdisk.log
Log after another quick analysis
(6.08 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

muhndo

Re: Hard drives gone after Windows reinstall

#2 Post by muhndo »

Problem solved, I used Disk Drill to recover all data.
Worked fine and fast.