SSD is RAW after clean windows install

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
domii77

SSD is RAW after clean windows install

#1 Post by domii77 »

Hiya!
Quick rundown of the situation:
My system drive (SSD) died a couple of days ago, no surprise here it was 12 years old. I bought a new one and clean installed windows 10 on it. Per online recommendations i first disconnected my two other storage drives, ones is a HDD the other (the problem child) a Samsung SSD Evo 870 2TB. After booting and installing updates I reconnected the two drives, they didn't show up at first caused by me not having installed chipset drivers. After that the HDD showed up fine but the SSD showed no size info in explorer and wouldn't open. Disk manager shows it encoded as RAW.

Now: I have downloaded testdisk, ran it, found the partition and all files seem to be there. It says "Bad sector count" and "No partition is bootable". I know there are resources and step by step instructions but quite frankly I do not understand nearly enough about disk management and the tool testdisk to be really sure how to proceed. I've not gone past the stage of searching the partition and looking at the files, since that option "write" kinda worries me that I will loose data. Alot of online help towards the subject seem to involve just assuming the drive must be dead because it's in RAW or partitioning it and accept the loss of data. There must be more to this, or a possibility to verify if everything is really lost. I also find it hard to believe the drive is really dead, since my system drive failed it wasn't in use and before that it showed no indication of failing. It's also only about a year old! I'd be really greatfull for some help. My goal is to first find out if my drive is simply broken or something happened during the install that can be fixed, and if it cannot be fixed to recover the files.
Thank you for your help!

recuperation

Re: SSD is RAW after clean windows install

#2 Post by recuperation »

domii77 wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 20:19 Hiya!
Quick rundown of the situation:
My system drive (SSD) died a couple of days ago, no surprise here it was 12 years old. I bought a new one and clean installed windows 10 on it. Per online recommendations i first disconnected my two other storage drives, ones is a HDD the other (the problem child) a Samsung SSD Evo 870 2TB. After booting and installing updates I reconnected the two drives, they didn't show up at first caused by me not having installed chipset drivers. After that the HDD showed up fine but the SSD showed no size info in explorer and wouldn't open. Disk manager shows it encoded as RAW.
RAW is disorder and disaster and it is the absence of structure as reflected in a MBR or GPT partition table. Even without a partition table a disk may begin directly with a boot sector.
If there is neither MBR nor GPT nor a boot sector (rare exception) then the disk may appear RAW.
There is no RAW encoding. Well, if you write random bytes sequentially on your disk you might define that as a RAW encoding. ;)

Now: I have downloaded testdisk, ran it, found the partition and all files seem to be there. It says "Bad sector count" and "No partition is bootable". I know there are resources and step by step instructions but quite frankly I do not understand nearly enough about disk management and the tool testdisk to be really sure how to proceed. I've not gone past the stage of searching the partition and looking at the files, since that option "write" kinda worries me that I will loose data.
Please post your TestDisk logfile and describe how your Samsung SSD was partitioned before the incident happened.
Alot of online help towards the subject seem to involve just assuming the drive must be dead because it's in RAW or partitioning it and accept the loss of data.
Please post a link to the source of this information.

There must be more to this, or a possibility to verify if everything is really lost. I also find it hard to believe the drive is really dead, since my system drive failed it wasn't in use and before that it showed no indication of failing. It's also only about a year old! I'd be really greatfull for some help. My goal is to first find out if my drive is simply broken or something happened during the install that can be fixed, and if it cannot be fixed to recover the files.
Thank you for your help!