permission denied when copying video files

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
crest

permission denied when copying video files

#1 Post by crest »

Greetings, I am a ultranoob when it comes to using Linux but I was tired of Windows and personally detest supporting the Gates Foundation so I started using Linux Mint instead. I found my Mint unbootable with the Grub rescue screen and I attempted to use Testdisk to find out more. I even paid for "Recoverit" software which so far has recovered nothing for me. I was able to find the files I needed and copy them to a usb flash drive but there are some video files located on my still unbootable 1.5 TGB that were dji drone videos that I had downloaded in my document folder when my Mint was running. I tried to select these files and transfer them also to my usb flash but keep getting an error message that I do not have permission/ I do not have ownership etc. I will admit that I'm not sure about what I have been doing but so far, I have been lucky to get to this point and the "Recoverit" money I wasted doesn't bother me if I can accomplish this on my own. Is there a way I can change the permissions in Terminal or find out why this is happening to only these files? I was able to successfully transfer/recover other videos, also shot from the drone that were located in another folder. I appreciate any assistance and yes, I will backup from now on.

recuperation

Re: permission denied when copying video files

#2 Post by recuperation »

Your USB stick may be broken. Try another storage device or connect your Linux Mint machine to a (Windows) network and copy the file over the network connection.