Only finding application TIFF files on MacOS Sonoma

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jdykstra

Only finding application TIFF files on MacOS Sonoma

#1 Post by jdykstra »

I'm trying to recover a couple of thousand Nikon NEF files, which appear to PhotoRec as TIFF files (extension "tif"). When I scan my "Macintosh HD - Data" partition, the only TIFF files located are 200 or so that appear to belong to applications, and are probably from applications' bundle's resource directories. I even tried creating a new TIFF (potentially overwriting some of the data I'm trying to recover), but a subsequent PhotoRec scan didn't find that one either.

I'm currently running PhotoRec by booting my Mac into recovery mode, unmounting the "Macintosh HD - Data" partition, and scanning the partition that both Disk Utility and the mount command say contains my data partition (/dev/rdisk3s2). I've tried both PhotoRec 7.1 and the current work-in-progress download. I've tried scanning the block device (/dev/disk3s2). I've tried running PhotoRec after a normal boot, rather than in recovery mode. In all cases, I get the same 200 or so application TIFF files, and none of the ones I'm looking for.

Almost one-half of the 2TB internal disk is unused, and I started trying to recover my files within an hour of deleting them, so there should be plenty of intact files to recover. It almost seems like I'm scanning the recovery partition rather than my data partition, but I have checked my disk selection many times over. The partition is not encrypted.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

jdykstra

Re: Only finding application TIFF files on MacOS Sonoma

#2 Post by jdykstra »

Follow-up: This is a MBP with an SSD, so the TRIM function has probably made the data unretrievable.

recuperation

#3 Post by recuperation »

What is the maker and the model of the disk?

jdykstra

#4 Post by jdykstra »

This is the Macbook's internal drive, an Apple AP2048N. 2 TB, NVMe. TRIM is enabled in the driver.

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

TRIM is the explanation.