How long to undelete a file?

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
kmeads

How long to undelete a file?

#1 Post by kmeads »

I have a USB drive that went to a RAW format. I successfully located my files to recover and I told it to copy them to my local drive. The file in question is about 1TB. About how long can I expect for it to finish undeleting that file? It has been running several hours (about 8 hours) now. I just don't have any kind of sense of how long it should take. I realize that different systems will take different times but I'm looking for an about. Is 8 hours just too long?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.

recuperation

Re: How long to undelete a file?

#2 Post by recuperation »

kmeads wrote: 01 Jan 2024, 07:45 I have a USB drive that went to a RAW format. I successfully located my files to recover and I told it to copy them to my local drive. The file in question is about 1TB. About how long can I expect for it to finish undeleting that file? It has been running several hours (about 8 hours) now. I just don't have any kind of sense of how long it should take. I realize that different systems will take different times but I'm looking for an about. Is 8 hours just too long?

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.
The speed depends on your bottleneck. A USB 2.0 interface may reach 35 MB/sec. A USB 3.0 interface does not limit a modern 3,5'' HDD with 5400 rpm.
Further bottlenecks are fragmentation and unreadable ("pending") sectors.
You have to convert 1TB/8 hours into MB/sec to compare.