Deleting or encrypting dead drive to send in for warranty

Using TestDisk to undelete files
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
domii77

Deleting or encrypting dead drive to send in for warranty

#1 Post by domii77 »

Hi! Sorry if this is in the wrong category, but I felt this fit the most even if I'm trying to achieve the opposite of what most people want to in this forum.

I have a dead SSD drive, which is formatted as RAW. For details here is my original post: viewtopic.php?p=37870#p37870
I've come to the conclusion that it is definetly no longer usable, but with TestDisk all files on it where easily recovered, which is of course great! Here's the thing. To claim my warranty I have to send it in. But there is mildly sensitive data on the drive, and albeit all of it is just boring work related stuff, I just don't want to risk being 'that person' who handled it carelessly. Since it only took a couple presses of a button with testdisk to recover all the data I am not comfortable sending in the drive as is. I am not that worried about the company or the employes of the firm that I bought it from, they probably won't even look at the thing. But if they do not destroy or dispose of it properly who knows where it ends up. Normaly I'd physically destroy a drive, but I can't to that since it would void the warranty, or better yet, just don't dispose of it but store it securly.

I am aware that there is a mountain of software to encrypt or safely(ish) delete files, but so far the only program that even recognizes the drive is Testdisk and Photorec. I saw that there is an option to delete files within Testdisk, how safe/permanent is that deletion? Is there a way to encrypt files with Testdisk?

TL;DR:
  • Dead SSD drive
  • Only Testdisk can still recognize it and read files
  • need to safely delete or encrypt files before sending in for warranty
  • Anyway to do this with Testdisk?

Thanks for helping!

recuperation

Re: Deleting or encrypting dead drive to send in for warranty

#2 Post by recuperation »

This forum is about data recovery using the TestDisk package.
Please ask somewhere else.
Thank you!

domii77

#3 Post by domii77 »

recuperation wrote: 20 Jan 2024, 12:42 This forum is about data recovery using the TestDisk package.
Please ask somewhere else.
Thank you!
What category should I ask in instead? The question is still about the Testdisk package and its features.

Ushavilash

#4 Post by Ushavilash »

What concerns does the user have about sending in their dead SSD drive for warranty claim, and how does TestDisk factor into their dilemma?