finding data after a second run

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
antelopeseller

finding data after a second run

#1 Post by antelopeseller »

I have a 128gb Toshiba flash disk in fat32 format, I used it to store videos
recently I plugged it in and everything was gone, except for a few system files for the drive , yet it could still read and write files
allocated space also showed it as completely empty too, so i tried PhotoRec , but foolishly set the extraction destination to my C: drive that is nearly full
so after about 5 minutes it had recovered about 12 files, left it on overnight and had recovered about 70, before saying it had run out of space

So I re-did it and set it to extract to a drive that has more than enough free space, but only extracted 1 weird text file after a few minutes
I changed it to "free" instead of "whole" but after an hour it has only extracted 1 video file and 5 weird corrupted text files

Am i unable to extract the same files twice or something? I can kind of tell I'm missing some things but also assumed that trying to recover the same drive twice would output the same results

thank you in advance as i am not very experienced in file systems or data recovery

recuperation

Re: finding data after a second run

#2 Post by recuperation »

Storage devices break. They can break from one moment to another or they can break slowly.
Suspicious disks should be duplicated using ddrescue as described in the manual to ensure a healthy state of the duplicate without any physical problems so that rerunning any data recovery software gives the same results.

antelopeseller

#3 Post by antelopeseller »

does this mean that i cannot recover any more data? or would it still be useful to try and make a duplicate

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

I don't know. I can't foresee.