mdadm / md 1.2 partition recovery - unusual cylinder count Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
jimmy83

mdadm / md 1.2 partition recovery - unusual cylinder count

#1 Post by jimmy83 »

Hey, Hopefully this is a pretty straight forward question

In running test disk on an md 1.2 RAID 5 array, the cylinder analyse count seems unusual. It' been well over the total number of cylinders since pretty early on in the scan and has continued to increment for days. Then inexplicably gone back to well under today, none of which ever seems to land at the percentage complete. Is this expected behaviour, bug or something strange?

A few days ago with a lot more scanned than the total cylinder count.

Then today at well under 59%

For context, one of my LSI cards went offline, taking 3 drives with it, getting the event count out of sync on the array. Force assemble synced the count as they were very very close so probably nothing to worry about there, but wouldn't not bring the array up (which is a new one for me). As a last resort, I did a create with assume clean and it came up fine, but the partition data wasn't happy and wouldn't mount, which was somewhat expected for the create / assume clean.

Any ideas why the analyse count is being weird? Don't worry and just let it finish?

recuperation

Re: mdadm / md 1.2 partition recovery - unusual cylinder count

#2 Post by recuperation »

Please ensure using the current version of TestDisk which is version 7.2 before submitting a bug report.

PacketFiend

#3 Post by PacketFiend »

Just a quick note - I too was originally using 7.1. That's the version currently available in the Debian/Ubuntu repositories. You'll probably get a lot of people like myself and OP using 7.1 until it gets pushed downstream.

(The statically linked 7.2 version I used worked great though)

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

Use the download version (as you mentionned) or just wait to let the fairly new version 7.2 pour into newer linux distributions.

jimmy83

#5 Post by jimmy83 »

Posting for anyone who is looking - as PacketFiend said, it is Ubuntu 22.04, which has 7.1 on the repo. Restarted using the 7.2 binary from here and it's all working as expected so far - the cylinder count looks right and the percentage lines up to the numbers scanned now. Hot tip - grab the binary or wait for it to filter to the repo if you're having weird issues. I'll keep an eye on it but suspect it's going to complete as expected this time around. Cheers!