TestDisk 7.2 EFI GPT Deeper Search: Two overlapping MS Data NTFS entries (sector 2048 vs 2054)
Posted: 08 Oct 2026, 06:40
Hello everyone,
I am running TestDisk 7.2 on an Ubuntu 22.04 live USB to recover a single 2 TB NTFS data partition on a secondary NVMe drive (/dev/nvme1n1, 1863 GiB) whose GPT header was accidentally overwritten when initializing a new disk in Windows Disk Management.
After selecting [EFI GPT] -> [Analyse] -> [Quick Search] and then letting [Deeper Search] finish, TestDisk finds two almost identical MS Data partitions with label [Work_NVMe] shifted by 6 sectors:
Here is a screenshot of the exact TestDisk 7.2 Deeper Search terminal output:

(Direct terminal screenshot link: https://media2url.com/m/54252792133849)
When I highlight the first entry starting at sector 2048 and press P (list files), TestDisk lists all root folders and files cleanly. When I highlight the second entry starting at sector 2054 (which I assume was detected from the backup NTFS boot sector at the end of the volume) and press P, it says "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."
Before I change the status of the first entry (2048 - 3907026943) from D to P and write the new GPT partition table:
1. Should I leave the trailing 2048-sector entry (3907026944 - 3907028991) marked as D (Deleted), or is that a Windows reserved/protective metadata region?
2. Since listing files (P) works on the 2048-aligned entry, is writing the GPT table directly safe, or is it still recommended to copy the critical directories out via TestDisk's C file copy feature first before writing the partition table?
Thank you in advance for your guidance!
I am running TestDisk 7.2 on an Ubuntu 22.04 live USB to recover a single 2 TB NTFS data partition on a secondary NVMe drive (/dev/nvme1n1, 1863 GiB) whose GPT header was accidentally overwritten when initializing a new disk in Windows Disk Management.
After selecting [EFI GPT] -> [Analyse] -> [Quick Search] and then letting [Deeper Search] finish, TestDisk finds two almost identical MS Data partitions with label [Work_NVMe] shifted by 6 sectors:
Code: Select all
Disk /dev/nvme1n1 - 2000 GB / 1863 GiB - CHS 1907729 64 32
Partition Start End Size in sectors
D MS Data 2048 3907026943 3907024896 [Work_NVMe]
D MS Data 2054 3907026949 3907024896 [Work_NVMe]
D MS Data 3907026944 3907028991 2048

(Direct terminal screenshot link: https://media2url.com/m/54252792133849)
When I highlight the first entry starting at sector 2048 and press P (list files), TestDisk lists all root folders and files cleanly. When I highlight the second entry starting at sector 2054 (which I assume was detected from the backup NTFS boot sector at the end of the volume) and press P, it says "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."
Before I change the status of the first entry (2048 - 3907026943) from D to P and write the new GPT partition table:
1. Should I leave the trailing 2048-sector entry (3907026944 - 3907028991) marked as D (Deleted), or is that a Windows reserved/protective metadata region?
2. Since listing files (P) works on the 2048-aligned entry, is writing the GPT table directly safe, or is it still recommended to copy the critical directories out via TestDisk's C file copy feature first before writing the partition table?
Thank you in advance for your guidance!