Inaccessiable partition

Using TestDisk to repair the filesystem
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
aerialace

Inaccessiable partition

#1 Post by aerialace »

Recently one of my HDD has had a problem its started as being an invalid disk which i managed to fix by editing some hex values but doing so i only gained access to one of the three partitions on the drive, Testdisk gave me access to a 2nd one by the analyses option but the 3rd still remains inaccessible and asks to be formatted by windows if trying to access it. I have already tried a search and then writing to disk but one partition still remains inaccessible(windows saws its a RAW file format in disk manager) any help or advice would be appreciated
Attachments
Testdisk.jpg
Testdisk.jpg (83.45 KiB) Viewed 4950 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Inaccessiable partition

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run TestDisk, Advcaned, select the damaged NTFS, Boot, RebuildBS, List. If you can see your files, choose Write, confirm, Quit and reboot.

Metaphysical1

#3 Post by Metaphysical1 »

Hello! I appraciate your help with the question above. I THINK I have a similar problem, so I followed your directions to the writer above.

However, after asking Testdisk to boot, rebuild, list, and write, I got what is in the attachment. :cry:

Can you please help????
Attachments
testdisk_advanced.JPG
testdisk_advanced.JPG (71.37 KiB) Viewed 4672 times

cgrenier
Site Admin

#4 Post by cgrenier »

Metaphysical1, if TestDisk has been able to list your files and Windows hasn't, now run "cmd" as administrator and "chkdsk /f d:" (replace d: by the correct drive letter)

Metaphysical1

#5 Post by Metaphysical1 »

Thank you so much for your reply! Even though I have not yet tried your suggestion, I will give it a try as soon as I finish a project on which I am working.

It is people like yourself that make the world a 'community'. I am always astounded as to how generous you are with what you know. Even though I don't have a clue about what you just explained, I do know how to follow directions! :D

Since I would like to understand a "bit" of what is really going on, could you or perhaps someone else on this forum point me to some good reference material? Maybe a textbook or some articles?

If not, I am still extremely grateful for your help. I extend my warmest regards to you.

Fiona

#6 Post by Fiona »

Looks like your file system is corrupted!
If you have valuable data and you can list your files using TestDisk, you can copy them to an intact disk or partition as a backup, before you perform any file system repair like chkdsk.
It's only intended to get for sure not to loose any data.
If you lsit data, at the bottom of the screen, you can watch all necessary commands.
Marking that two dots and pressing enter you'll get a directory up.
If only that one dot is checked, means that your entire content of your disk is marked, to get copied to another directory or disk.
You can use your left or right arrow key to navigate into any folder!

Fiona