Using TestDisk to undelete files
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 04 Dec 2012, 18:08
Code: Select all
sudo dd if=/path/to/iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M;sync
on the wrong mounted drive and overwrote my Western Digital NTFS usb 3.0 1TB external drive. It had ~500GB of files on it and the iso that I overwrote it with is less than 500MB. I have used TeskDisk to complete a quick search which reported 'Structure: Ok'. I'm assuming it's just looking at the image and doesn't know about the deleted files.
I have heard NTFS keeps a backup of it's MBR somewhere near the end of the volume. Anyway I can get TestDisk to search for the deleted MBR and attempt a restore before I try individual file recovery with PhotoRec?