how to recover the photos in my folders changed to file type

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
asiong123

how to recover the photos in my folders changed to file type

#1 Post by asiong123 »

Hi guys i have question if PhotoRec can recover all the photos in my folder was already changed to file type?
i need help how to get back all the photos in my folder changed to file type.

i read the description of the program:
This Recovery example guides you through PhotoRec step by step to recover deleted files or lost data from a reformatted partition or corrupted file system. For lost/deleted partitions or deleted files from a FAT or NTFS file system
but in my case i don't deleted this file type i mean until now i have the original copy of my Images and Video clips folders changed to file type in my memory card and another copy in my desktop.
but my problem only is i cant open this 2 folders now because that 2 folders was already changed now to file type
so i don't know now if my photos is still there in my folders.

in my side i just want to know now what i need to do or what in this 2 program TestDisk or PhotoRec can i use to recover and get back all the photos from my folders was converted now to unknown file type

here the screen shot of my memory card now

and here some information about my problem:

Before i have 4 folders in my memory card NAME: Images , Video clips , songs , movies
then i try to transfer all the photos from my memory card to my computer
now i connect my memory card to the storage device of my computer using my card reader
to copy all the pictures in my memory card and transfer all the photos to my computer
but i make some mistakes i restart my computer and i forgot to click "SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE"

after restarting my computer some message like this show in my monitor:

Code: Select all

Checking file system on E: The type of the file system is FAT.
One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk. Volume Serial Number is 0A34-16CA
Unrecoverable error in folder \Documents\divers. Convert folder to file (Y/N)? Yes Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes 705036288 bytes in 43 recovered files. Windows has made corrections to the file system.
when i see that message show in my screen i do not click anything in my keyboard
i mean i do not click Y OR N but after that error message show in my screen my computer
automatic go to my desktop i dont know why first i do not click anything.

Now i go to my computer to check all the files in my memory card
then i see my Images and Videos FOLDER changed to a FILE type
and i try to open my 2 FOLDER changed to FILE type to check all my photos and videos
inside in that folder if still there but i cannot open the file
when i click open this message show in my screen:

(Open With: Choose the program you want to open this file)

i try to choose some program in the list to open that FILE but the file still not open.

i see this BOOTEX.LOG in my memory card but before i don't have that BOOTEX.LOG in my memory card
and another one i save all my pictures in my Images folder i think i have 400 pictures in that folder and 20 videos
in my Video clips folder but after that 2 folders changed now to a FILE type my images file have only 64.0 KB
and my video clips have only 32.0 KB size??

Anyway here some good news for me some folders in my memory card like my SONGS and MOVIES folders still there and working fine i have problem only in my 2 folder NAME: Images and Video clips because that 2 folders changed to FILE type

My question now how to solve this problem any suggestion tips , tutorials or what program i need to use to fixed this problem?

and last if anyone here have the same problem like this before and know how to solve this problem
please help me to back all my photos thanks

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: how to recover the photos in my folders changed to file

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Run PhotoRec, select the memory card, start a Search, choose [Whole] instead of [Free].

asiong123

Re: how to recover the photos in my folders changed to file

#3 Post by asiong123 »

Hi guys i just want to say thank you for all the people who read and reply in this topic i really appreciate your help guys to solve this problem.

Anyway I'm so happy to say i solve my problem now guys.
i used this program called "ZAR or Zero Assumption Recovery version 9.2"

how i solve this problem?

First: i download the ZAR 9.2 and i install this software in my Drive:C

2nd: i just want to recover only all the photos and videos in my 2 folders changed to file type in my memory card. the name of this 2 folders was converted now to file type is: "Images and Video clips" folders.

so after i download and i install this software i connect my memory card to the storage device of my computer using my card reader and the drive or the letter of my memory card is letter: F or Drive: (F:)

then after that i open the Zero Assumption Recovery software and i choose the "Image Recovery (Free)" option to recover my files. then i scan the drive letter of my memory card in Drive:F and this software is very fast because i finish to scan my memory card i think in 5 minutes only.

3rd: after my scan is finish i see 2219 files in the list of my ROOT folder
and i save all this 2219 files i recover in my Local Disk (D:) or drive:D

then after i finish to recover and save all my files in my drive:D
i close this software and i go to my drive:D to check all the files i recover

here the result of all the files i recover.

first of all i just want to recover only all the photos and videos inside in my 2 folders changed to file type.

so in my 2219 files i recover i copy only my 702 photos because this photos is very important to me. this 702 photos is the all photos inside in my "Images folder" was changed to file type. and i forgot to say i see also some of the photos i already deleted in my memory card but this is not important to me now because i have already the copy of that photos so this is the reason why i deleted this photos in my memory card. i just want to say only i recover also some of the photos i already deleted in my memory card. and i copy also all the videos i recover but all the videos i recover is not working anyway i have the copy of that 44 videos in my desktop so this video is not important to me now because i have the copy of that videos.

i recover 2219 files and the reason why i save only the 702 photos because some of the photos i recover i have already the copy of that photos so this is the reason why i deleted some of this photos and i save only 702 in my photos because i want to recover only this 702 photos in my folders changed to file type because i don't have the copy of this 702 photos

the total result: i have 2219 files i recover and i save only the 702 of my photos and in this 702 photos i saved i have some problem only in my 14 photos all this 14 photos have Thumbnails but the problem when i try to open my 8 photos i can't view the photos i mean when i click open i see only "Drawing failed" and no photos show in my "windows picture and fax viewer" and the other 6 photos have also the Thumbnails but when i open this 6 photos i can view the photos in my "windows picture and fax viewer" but the problem the photos show only the half of photos and the other half of photos is have problem i see only the blank with gray backround for example in the left side of photos is ok without problem but in the right side of the photos i see only blank with gray color. another problem all the video i recover is not working i mean i can't play all the videos i recover but in my case this video is not important to me because i have already the copy of that video in my desktop but the "Good News" is in the total of 702 photos i saved the 688 of this photos is working fine without any problem the photos have Thumbnails and i can view also the full size of my 688 photos.

so in total 2219 files i recover and i save only 702 photos and the 688 of my photos 100 % working i recover perfect this 688 photos without any problem but the other 14 photos is not working and have some problem and also all the 44 videos i recover is not working but the good news this software 100 percent can recover your photos in the folders changed to file type.

NOTE: first of all guys i am not promoting this software i just want to share only my experience about how to solve this problem and what software i use
so i post some tutorials how to recover your photos in the folder changed to file type to help some people have the same problem like this and if you search in internet guys you will see many people have the problem about the folders changed to file type and many of this people searching for the software can solve this problem but in my research i cannot see any user solve this problem and if you read some topic in other forum about this problem no user solve this problem so if i am correct i think i am the first user solve the problem about the folders changed to file type.

To all people have problem like this about how to recover your photos in the folders changed to file type you can try this "Zero Assumption Recovery" to recover your photos i will recommended that software because i try this software to recover and get back all the photos in my folders was changed to file type. and another one just like what i said before i also recover some of the photos i already deleted in my memory card so if you accidentally deleted your photos and you want to recover your photos you can also try this software.. Zero Assumption Recovery is very nice software and another good news guys the "Image Recovery (Free)" options of this software is 100 percent free (tested and 95% working)..

and last guys if you have problem about computer and internet don't give up always remember nothing impossible in this computer world you need only this 5 things..

1. search
2. read
3. don't be shy to ask question
4. take your time
5. wait until you see the correct and right answer in your question

you know guys many people say this problem is not easy to solve and some other user said just quit and give up because this problem is impossible to solve or no one program can solve this problem but i don't give up guys if you see i got this problem in april 6 and the date now is june 4 see guys i searching in almost 2 months until i found the answer how to solve this problem. so i just want to say only if you have problem in computer and if this files is very important to you don't give up!! because nothing impossible in this computer world!!..

anyway i just want to say thank you again to all the user reply in this topic i really appreciate your reply guys for trying to help me to solve this problem anyway i am so happy now guys because i solved my problem now thank you again guys godbless