Selecting Target Partition Topic is solved

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Arran

Selecting Target Partition

#1 Postby Arran » 03 Apr 2012, 17:01

Hello

I hope to find some help.

My System: LinuxMint 12 KDE.

My Problem: I have deleted a full partition by deleting /graphic from /media (stupid, I know). That partition has all my pictures and Videoclips, inclusive a few full Films recorded from TV. The real problems are the pics, the rest is not too important (sad, but there you are).
So, I am trying now to use «photorec» and I think I managed up to the moment when I ought to choose the destination partition. As the original partition (NTFS) was quite large >300MB, and I had anyway an empty NTFS partition of 358 MB on the same HD (1 Terabyte in total) I want to save the files to that drive.
However, I see no way to choose this drive. When the Windows with the selection of the Target comes up, I can not deselect my /home/arran directory in favour of /media/graphicsavings. I can not even find any of the other /media partitions.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored links

Arran

Re: Selecting Target Partition

#2 Postby Arran » 04 Apr 2012, 12:53

Hello

I did found out how to get the things moving. The machine is now working and saving.

So, lets hope for the best.

remy

Re: Selecting Target Partition

#3 Postby remy » 04 Apr 2012, 13:19

For others reading your post, may you confirm :

- You have to mount the other partition and then select it in /media/... (or another mount point) without forgetting that ".." in gnu/linux mean "parent directory".

EDIT : By the way, testdisk 6.14-WIP includes some undeleting functionnality on ext partitions (perhaps I'm wrong, I tell that on a deficient memory basis) and you should also give a try to extundelete or ext3grep that could give great results.
J'ai pour habitude d'aller au bout de l'aide que j'apporte. Si vous pensez que je vous ai abandonné, et que je ne l'ai pas fait explicitement, c'est que votre message est enfoui avec d'autres. Relancez-moi (modérément) par mail.

Arran

Re: Selecting Target Partition  Topic is solved

#4 Postby Arran » 05 Apr 2012, 11:05

Thanks remy

Yes, I have mounted the correct new partition in «media».

As I wrote, there are over 300GB to rescue, at the moment there are 31578 files found and the computer works for over 25 hours ... My three processors run at about 85% on average. Therefore:

Can someone tell me how to close and restart at the point I stopped the rescue? I have absolute not pleasure to redo the whole thing again.

And how can I see, the Job is finished?

Edit: I just returned to the pic and realise, that the panel tells me:

Recovery finished.

All in all were 31674 files recoverd.

Return to “File recovery”