Harddrive seems too small #2

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
stretch

Harddrive seems too small #2

#1 Postby stretch » 22 Apr 2012, 14:50

Hi all,

Similar to this post:

http://forum.cgsecurity.org/phpBB3/harddrive-seems-to-small-t379.html

I have pretty much recieved the same info (though I have Mac OS X Snow Leopard 1.6) and will not boot - just white screen with spinning disk.

After loading testdisk/deep scan etc. it says that various sectors cannot be recovered, check HD jumpers, BIOS detection etc. though I have not altered anything since the machine was recieved and had been working OK before this (Once had the '3 chimes' on bootup but reset ok a while back)

When pressing 'p' to view files after 100% analysis there is nothing listed?

Just:

Code: Select all

EFI System                           40 409639   409600   [EFI]
Directory /

>drwxr-xr-x     0       0                0  26-Jul-2009 14:39  EFI

Not sure where to go from here?

Any help would be much appreciated and a little out of my depth!!!

Many thanks,

GS

Sponsored links

remy

Re: Harddrive seems too small #2

#2 Postby remy » 25 Apr 2012, 23:58

This is only the EFI pattition, you probably have a GPT table partition, and you should be able to find a data partition (HFS+ if with osx) after the EFI.

If your disk has wrong geometry like in the post you mentionned, it could be because of a corruption that create an HPA, and you could solve by "reseting the max size", see the post you mentionned.

It could also be a harware failure or a firmware corruption, and then testdisk or software solution won't be able to help.
J'ai pour habitude d'aller au bout de l'aide que j'apporte. Si vous pensez que je vous ai abandonné, et que je ne l'ai pas fait explicitement, c'est que votre message est enfoui avec d'autres. Relancez-moi (modérément) par mail.

stretch

#3 Postby stretch » 26 Apr 2012, 22:55

Thanks for the reply -

When running diskutil also kept coming back with filesystem corrupt and could not mount/unmount either or do anything esle.

Anyway, managed to get hold of Disk Warrior and sorted it in about 10mins! - all up and running again :)

GS

remy

#4 Postby remy » 26 Apr 2012, 23:51

Thanks for feedback. You can close your post, then.
J'ai pour habitude d'aller au bout de l'aide que j'apporte. Si vous pensez que je vous ai abandonné, et que je ne l'ai pas fait explicitement, c'est que votre message est enfoui avec d'autres. Relancez-moi (modérément) par mail.

Return to “Partition Recovery”