Recovering Recent Files

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
DSerious

Recovering Recent Files

#1 Post by DSerious »

Hi

Please can you help.

I am a photographer, I'm trying to recover .CR2 image files that I had created and saved over the past year, after I had to reinstall Windows 10 the other day.

Every CR2. file that is being recovered, is from 2015, there are no folders, and all files are renamed just as fnumbers such as :f219824496.cr2. Some are corrupted with colours through half the image, some are pure fuzz, and there are hundreds of duplicates.

However I just need about 30 files from the past couple of months, (these are the ones I stupidly forgot to backup!) but nothing from this year is showing up. Literally thousands of image files are being recovered that are only a selection from 2015.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Recovering Recent Files

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Try TestDisk, select the disk, Advanced, select the partition, List. You may be able to copy your files.
If it doesn't work, run PhotoRec, select the disk and the partition, start a recovery, use [Whole] instead of [Free].

DSerious

Re: Recovering Recent Files

#3 Post by DSerious »

Thank you, I tried these searches, but they both still came back with the same issue and did not return this year's files. I find it hard to believe that they are not still somewhere on my Laptop.