Hard Drive Issues and Bootable Partition Issue?

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
windoze

Hard Drive Issues and Bootable Partition Issue?

#1 Post by windoze » 22 Aug 2016, 02:23

Hello,

I am desperately trying to get my hard drive fixed enough so I can use clonezilla or any other disk copying utility to copy disk to disk and then use the new disk to boot off of. I have a lot of custom software I cannot lose. My windows system was acting slow and locking up after a hard shutdown and reboot it went into chkdsk and ran for over 16 hours listing about 10 files that it said "deleting index attribute record" the next morning it was sitting at the windows log in, tried to log in and same result. The drive is getting very hot as well.

I shut it down and I tried to use clonezilla but it could not see the drive. I then ran TestDisk which says the everything is ok on the main screen. However when I go under the FAT32 LBA labeled as recovery it is giving read errors as it analyzes the cylinders at 25/94/12 (lba=407558). It lists FAT32LBA twice as

Code: Select all

FAT32 LBA      0  32 33   4895  46 47  78639072 [RECOVERY]

Code: Select all

FAT32 LBA      0  32 33   4895 46 47   78639072 [NO NAME]
the drive is a 750GB Western Digital Black Scorpio drive.
I have a replacement drive which is 1TB installed in the machine as well

the disk analysis is still running but it is really slow 112/91200: 00% and its been running about a half hour now.

I am really not sure what to do at this point I am accessing the TestDisk program from SystemRescueCD in the GUI.

Sponsored links

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Hard Drive Issues and Bootable Partition Issue?

#2 Post by cgrenier » 23 Aug 2016, 06:33

You should use ddrescue to clone the disk to a new empty one. Once it's done, remove the original disk and try to access your data from the clone.

windoze

Re: Hard Drive Issues and Bootable Partition Issue?

#3 Post by windoze » 24 Aug 2016, 00:02

I tried DDrescue and it had only copied 4GB in 20 Hours and said it would take 123 days to complete.

I did run test disk again which reported the MFT was damaged I told it to fix it and it said it was successful. It still is not working though. Tried to run a chkdsk /r on it but it keeps pluging and unpluging from the USB SATA adapter I am using on my other computer as when I try to run it from inside the laptop using a Windows 7 disk it just keeps getting stuck at startup repair I never get the option of recovery console. What else can I do ?