PoleRec Find External Hard Drive.

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
flamestar

PoleRec Find External Hard Drive.

#1 Post by flamestar »

‘I have a 21.5 inch iMac. MacOSSierra Version 10.12.1. I had 2 external hard drives. On one hard drive I ran a time machine. One Sunday afternoon I logged in and I was given several choices on how I wanted to load an operations
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 2.51.33 PM.png
system. I suddenly didn’t have an operating system. I should have called but I took the choice of using time machine. The time machine crashed. I called and and the Apple guy tested everything and ran the disk utility First Aid and nothing helped. He installed Lion for me. I upgraded to Sierra, I then the external disk with the time machine could not be seen. I called Apple even though my other external hard drive could be sen the time machine drive couldn’t. The time machine could be seen in the disk utility but not the computer. He sent me to the Apple store to see if another computer could read the time machine. The guy said hopefully I could use software to retrieve the data. I am trying to use Photorec. I can get through the password and file system but when I come to where do I want to put you data I want to direct it to my external hard drive. The time machine is unplugged. There is a list an at the end of the line I see with the names of folders on my computer so I know what those are. The first two lines have numbers. Here is a screen shot. I wished it said C: drive and D: drive. Which line refers to my external hard drive if either. If not how can I tell it to put the data on the external hard drive.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: PoleRec Find External Hard Drive.

#2 Post by cgrenier »

Unfortunately the screenshot are missing.
If you are actually under Mac OS X, your external disk is probably mounted in /Volumes.
Under Windows, press the left arrow keys until you get a list of all your drives. It it doesn't work, another possibility is to move the directory containing testdisk to the other disk and restart it from there.

flamestar

Re: PoleRec Find External Hard Drive.

#3 Post by flamestar »

The second idea is brilliant. Thank you. :D