Partition recovery

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
tempy111

Partition recovery

#1 Post by tempy111 »

I'm sure this has been answered before but I couldn't quite find what would help me.. anyway..

After a VERY annoying crash, i'm left with a laptop harddrive which is GPT protected and dead backups. Using testdisk, since the harddrive appears undamaged, I could copy off the most important files without trouble so that's great. But I was trying to rebuild the record so I could access the harddrive normally via an external connection (because it's a laptop harddrive, even if I plug it into a computer internally there are some issues and my new laptop only has the standard 1 internal bay.

anyway, since it was a newer format, 4096 sector bytes instead of 512, I followed advice here to change the sector size via the geometry option, then on to the advanced section to rebuild the boot sector which took a little while (2 terabyte harddrive and all).

once that was done, it can still list and copy the files but it's still 'boot sector statues BAD- sectors are no identical'. The harddrive had 3 partitions on it (normal, recovery and something else) and I rebuild each one to try and get it fine.. Any ideas what I could try to finally this off? sector size does read as 512 now?

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Partition recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

If the disk geometry (ie 512/406 byte sector) has changed, usually the first step is to rewrite the partition table and next if you still have problem to access your data, go in Advanced, Boot, RebuildBS, List and if you can see your files, Write, confirm, Quit.