Some doubts about file recovery

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
cmegyes

Some doubts about file recovery

#1 Post by cmegyes »

Dear

First of all I thank and congratulate the creator / s of the testdisk system.

I do not understand almost anything about computer programs and languages, but still I just used the testdisk (with the help of the cgsecurity page and a video) to obtain the information of a removable disk (Wd scorpio blue of 300 gb) that could not be read by windows or by linux.
I have three doubts that I could not find (I do not know how to search for post on the same doubts because I do not know if I use the technical language correctly)

1. Could it be possible to transfer the files together with the original folders as it was in a removable hard disk? I mean to avoid having a compilation of files that was added to new folders called recup_dir 1, 2 ...

2. Could it be possible to maintain the original name of the files

3. Could it be possible to prevent the TestDisk system from detecting files that I deleted intentionally and previously? The previously deleted data was recovered together with the data currently recorded, and as a consequence transformed the original data size that was saved on the disk from approximately 80 gb to more than 200 gb.

Thank you. Best regards

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Some doubts about file recovery

#2 Post by cgrenier »

PhotoRec can't recover the original filenames.
If the source filesystem isn't corrupted, PhotoRec can recover data from the free space only if the filesystem is FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, exFAT, NTFS, ext2, ext3 or ext4.
TestDisk can sometimes repair filesystems: run TestDisk, Advanced, Boot, RebuildBS, List by example (Read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf for more details)

cmegyes

#3 Post by cmegyes »

Dear. Thank you, I did not know there was a book on the subject. I'm going to dedicate myself to study it. Greetings.

cmegyes

#4 Post by cmegyes »

I deleted this post because I was publishing it in the wrong sector.