Diskpart Clean -> Format -> Create GPT Table -- What a mess

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
mpw90

Diskpart Clean -> Format -> Create GPT Table -- What a mess

#1 Post by mpw90 »

Hi,

I'll keep it quick but detailed.

Corrupted W10 bootloader wasn't being repaired by any of the bootrec commands. Was planning to preparing to backup an external drive and accidentally wiped the main partition with diskpart clean, and then created some quick formats also using diskpart. It was now a RAW disk. The entire 500GB SSD.

I quickly booted in to Linux Mint and foolishly tried to recreate the GPT table using GParted. I think this was my second mistake.

I then realised what I had done, and used ddrescue to create a copy and send it to an 800GB partition on a separate HDD.

Now I am at a stage where if I use TestDisk I get the following:

Are my chances greater then 1% here? Because I don't think it's very likely to recover anything other than some stray files here and there.

Often I will get the error that filesystem damaged, and FAT errors, etc.

cgrenier
Site Admin

Re: Diskpart Clean -> Format -> Create GPT Table -- What a mess

#2 Post by cgrenier »

On next screen, check all partitions that looks like your lost partition, use 'p' to list your files.
If it's ok, set the partition to P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit

If your partition isn't found, it's still possible to use PhotoRec to recover your data. Be careful to store the recovered files on another disk.

mpw90

#3 Post by mpw90 »

cgrenier wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:22 On next screen, check all partitions that looks like your lost partition, use 'p' to list your files.
If it's ok, set the partition to P(rimary).
On next screen, choose Write, confirm, Quit

If your partition isn't found, it's still possible to use PhotoRec to recover your data. Be careful to store the recovered files on another disk.
Hi Christophe,

Thank you for replying.

I had began Photorec prior, but I realised I was backing up to a medium that would surely have insufficient space and then stopped. I've had success with it before, but forgot about how big my SSD was. In my late-night confusion, and foolishness, I did the GPT table write as mentioned prior. Perhaps desperation.

So, I usually cannot view the files even after deep search, as it always says filesystem is damaged. The only ones I can view are the actual files that are fine on this disk, but that is an entirely separate partition -- which I have taken offline and out of use.

Does this make sense?

recuperation

#4 Post by recuperation »

mpw90 wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:43 Does this make sense?
I don't understand your question.

mpw90

#5 Post by mpw90 »

recuperation wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 21:18
mpw90 wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 17:43 Does this make sense?
I don't understand your question.
Apologies,

My question is: After cleaning with Diskpart, then adding 'quick' formats as Fat32 that may or may not have overlapped with original partition, then writing partition GPT partition table on this mess, and ddrescuing THAT mess to a partition on a HDD that it, itself, has old data on, do you think there is even a remote chance to recover the RAW, then recover NTFS from that?

recuperation

#6 Post by recuperation »

Unless you did not use the "clean all" feature of diskpart there is always a chance that justifies running Testdisk.

mpw90

#7 Post by mpw90 »

recuperation wrote: 25 Oct 2019, 05:55 Unless you did not use the "clean all" feature of diskpart there is always a chance that justifies running Testdisk.
I did not, but I believe the data is gone. I have run photorec and testdisk over night to look for als files on the ddrescue partition. It didn't find any. It found swf files, which I believe are false positives.

Also, I did perform a photorec for als files on the disk that I reinstalled Windows on, because I needed Windows. als files can be recovered, but at a massively reduced size. 30-40kb. I think they've become fragmented and corrupted. Shame.

I think my last hope might be recuperabit. Even that is a stretch. I think it's done.