The following partition can't be recovered Topic is solved

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
AndreA09

The following partition can't be recovered

#1 Post by AndreA09 »

I had a disk with 2 partitions, C (~730Gb) and F (~200Gb) and I accidentally deleted disk partition F, how do I revert this?

-> History of how I accidentally deleted partition F:
Using disk management tool in Windows 10, I intended to expand F partition volume by 50Gb, so I reduced C disk by 50gb and then clicked on F partition and chose expand volume.
However the disk became dynamic (something I had never heard of) getting 2 partitions with the same name, however one with 50Gb and the other with 200Gb.
As this was not what I wanted, I right-clicked on the partition that was generated (the one that was only 50Gb) and selected delete volume.
And that's when everything went downhill... Both F partitions were deleted and the disk showed up with (~250)Gb as unallocated space.

I tried using several other programs to recover F partition, but none of them helped me.
One of the programs mentioned that it was not possible to operate on that disk because it was dynamic, so I looked for a way to convert it to Basic, because I thought that this way I would be able to use the tools to recover the partition.
I successfully converted the disk from dynamic to basic, however even then no program managed to restore the partition. Some programs simply did not detect the removed partition and others simply did nothing when asked to restore the partition.

Finally I tried using TestDisk, but it says partition F cannot be recovered.
Is there a way to recover partition F?

I would be immensely grateful if someone could help me!

AndreA09

Re: The following partition can't be recovered

#2 Post by AndreA09 »

I followed the steps shown in this post here on the forum... because the user's problem was similar.

However what happened was that after the Deeper Search I just selected partition F ("Files") and this resulted in an error 'Error: size boot_sector 521828352 > partition 419430400', however after restarting the computer partition D ( in the previous post, by mistake I called it C) it is no longer accessible and partition F appeared, however it is also inaccessible...
Telling me I have to format both partitions when I try to access them.

I attached an image of my current disk management tool in windows 10.

Please someone help me!
Attachments
DiskManagement.png
DiskManagement.png (29.45 KiB) Viewed 6719 times

AndreA09

#3 Post by AndreA09 »

I'm currently trying to recover both partitions D and F, I'm following the steps in the post I indicated...

After the Quick Search it tells me the same as it said at the beginning, that partition F cannot be recovered, so I clicked to continue and on the next screen only partition D (called 'HDD') appeared, which I changed using the arrows , the partition characteristic to P(rimary) and pressed continue. As partition F didn't show up then, I followed the post I mentioned and am now performing Deeper Search.

I would like help to know what to do to recover both my disk partitions, D and F.
When the Deeper Search is finished I will set the characteristic of partition F and D, which appear in the list, to P(rimary).
However, as mentioned by the user in the post I mentioned earlier, I noticed that the last time I did the Deeper Search there were also two D partitions (called 'HDD') in the list and using the 'p' key I also found that both had the same files , at the time I didn't think it was relevant as I just wanted to recover partition F.

Deeper Search is currently at 10% [image attached] however it is already possible to see the two partitions called 'HDD', if they both have the same files it doesn't matter which one to choose?
Attachments
DeeperSearch.png
DeeperSearch.png (4.37 KiB) Viewed 6713 times

AndreA09

#4 Post by AndreA09 »

I couldn't recover any partitions..
Attached is the log file, I ask that someone help me because I don't know what else to do.
Attachments
testdisk.log
(21.22 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

recuperation

#5 Post by recuperation »

If my hint to list the files that you find in the post you are referring to does not work after deep search ends, I can only recommend you using a professional recovery lab. This dammage is a logical one that does not seem to require opening your disk. That means that it won't be that expensive.

You did too many things that I am unable to reproduce in my mind and now the log file contains a mess of data belonging both to the old and new structure.
You don't write which software took how long to perform the steps needed nor did you write if that resizing operation was interrupted sometimes.

Your partition resize operation first required to shrink the D partition with its 730 GB down to 680 GB. There is no sign of that. It would have required to move all files and other data located in the last 50 GB of the partition with its 730 GB towards the beginning of the partition.
That would have given 50 GB of free space. In the next step the partition could have been shorted with very few manipulations.

The next step would have been more risky. Creating a new partition at the beginning of the free 50 GB space and rewriting the locations of every cluster of every file in the F partition, maybe moving the MFT towards the beginning of the new 2nd partition with a new size of 250 GB instead of 200 GB.

As you wrote that 250 GB of free space appeared that does not fit together with a now 730 GB sized first partition assuming a total available space of 930 GB.

The big issue now is where the MFT is (master file table) assuming both partitions were formated with NTFS. Is it still located in the 200 GB area or has it been moved into the 50 GB area that now belongs to the first partition? Have the file location been already corrected?

If you want to continue playing around as you did before, duplicate your disk using ddrescue as described in the manual. Maybe some commercial software does more than Testdisk which kind of reports a partition massacre. You can always use Photorec hoping that your F partition was not fragmented, but you will loose file name and folder structure information.

The line
boot_sector 521828352 > partition 419430400
probably tells you (can't give you a guarantee for that) that the F partition has a size of 521828352*512 bytes = 267.176.116.224 (your new target size, roughly 200 GB + 50 GB whereas the partition table suggests 419430400*512=214.748.364.800 bytes (old size).

You can ask Christophe Grenier for a price quote if he currently has time left (what I doubt).
Otherwise I am lacking the experience to recommend any lab.

Sorry!

P.S.:
Do no use this partition resizing software. It lures you to believe that there is a time reduction of your job but you are only trading a possible time reduction against the risk of data loss.

The correct procedure would have been to buy a second disk, partition it and copy the data.
When not wanting to buy a second disk the procedure would have been to lend a second disk from someone, copy the data to the second disk or store the data on some free space left elsewhere. Then you would have deleted the partitions on the source disk, created two new ones and copied the data back.

AndreA09

#6 Post by AndreA09 »

Thanks for the answer. From what I understand it is very unlikely / difficult for me to be able to recover the partitions and that the best thing to do would be to take it to a technician...
I'm not going to lie, reading that "it won't be that expensive" scares me a bit to ask what the approximate amount would be to fix this mess.

What makes me "intrigued" is that I can see my files using the 'p' key when I select partition F, is there any way I can recover that data to another partition? For example formatting partition D, and copying the contents of the old partition F to the new partition D.
As you may have noticed, I understand very little (basically nothing haha) of this.

recuperation

#7 Post by recuperation »

AndreA09 wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:12 Thanks for the answer. From what I understand it is very unlikely / difficult for me to be able to recover the partitions and that the best thing to do would be to take it to a technician...
I'm not going to lie, reading that "it won't be that expensive" scares me a bit to ask what the approximate amount would be to fix this mess.

What makes me "intrigued" is that I can see my files using the 'p' key when I select partition F, is there any way I can recover that data to another partition? For example formatting partition D, and copying the contents of the old partition F to the new partition D.
As you may have noticed, I understand very little (basically nothing haha) of this.
I am really surprised that you left out this important piece of information that you were aware of having read the linked article where I recommend trying listing the files using the p-function.
This is annoying as I really took a long time reading across all of your postings and preparing a unusual lengthy answer.
Instead you are talking about a unreadable RAW partition.

Read this article and try to copy your data to a suitable location.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDis ... per_Search

Honestly, after experiencing this I kind of lost my motivation to help and I feel real angry.

AndreA09

#8 Post by AndreA09 »

First of all, I sincerely apologize if I didn't give enough information.
I kind of mentioned since I could see the contents of partitions called 'HDD'
were also two D partitions (called 'HDD') in the list and using the 'p' key I also found that both had the same files
So what appears to me after Deeper Search is a list, with some partitions with the same name 'HDD' (partition name D), one with the name 'Files' (partition name F) and others without names. At the beginning of each item in the list appears either a * or a D(eleted).
And on both items named 'HDD' and 'Files' by pressing the 'p' key I can correctly see all the old folder structure I had on my partitions.

What I've been trying to do is change these * or D(eleted) to P(rimary), which is what was recommended in the post I read here on the forum about a case similar to mine.
From what I read on the link you sent me I just need to do the same steps but switch to L(ogical), is that it?

Again, I apologize if I make you angry and I really appreciate your effort in helping me.

AndreA09

#9 Post by AndreA09 »

My English is not the best and my desperation and concern about losing my data and the little knowledge I have in this area certainly led me to do things without thinking.
For that, I sincerely apologize.

If you are still willing to help me, I will soon follow the link you gave me and see if it solves my problem and then I will come back with the result.
recuperation wrote: 04 Aug 2023, 21:50 you are talking about a unreadable RAW partition.
But you have to be right about the problem, because in the image that I already sent from my disk manager it is possible to see that there is a 'Raw' text in the partitions, which should help confirm that the problem is "unreadable RAW partition".

AndreA09

#10 Post by AndreA09 »

I tried following the link you sent, but it didn't work.
Using the left/right arrow keys, change the status of the selected partition from D(eleted) to L(ogical). This way you will be able to recover this partition.
After Deeper Search I set the partitions to L(ogical).
But in the end I got a "write error".
Attachments
Result.png
Result.png (11.75 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
Attempt.png
Attempt.png (30.97 KiB) Viewed 6575 times