If anyone can help, I will try to be brief, but precise:
- I have a 1TB external drive that contains two partitions – A journaled MAC partition (250gb) for backups and a FAT32 (750gb) partition for data.
- The FAT 32 partition seems to have corrupted itself, but the mac partition is fine.
- I can mount and see the FAT32 drive and files structure on both OS X, and Windows under Fusion VMware (OSX)
- I cannot effectively copy the data off the drive – some will copy, most will not. I suspect corruption in the FAT tables.
- In OS X, the copy function in finder will simply hang or will display the copy window indefinitely, with nothing actually copying off the drive, or it may copy partially, then hang, or sometimes display a corrupt data msg.
- In Window (VM), it will begin copying until a point and then display a corrupt data message.
- I have gone through the step by step as best I can:
- TESTDISK correctly reads the partition structure and correctly shows the files structure and files.
- I have [Analyzed] and verified the files and file structure
- I have re-written and saved the partition tables with [Write]
- I have re-built the BS so they are identical - initial pass indicated they were not identical
- I have NOT repaired the FAT - How long might this take on a 750gb partition?
My question is should I try to repair the FAT or should I use PhotoRec to try to pull the files? The problem is I don't have a second drive of equal size to transfer the files to, so repairing is the preferred route if possible.
Any assistance is greatly appreciated.