deep search from specific point

How to use TestDisk to recover lost partition
brendan

deep search from specific point

#1 Post by brendan » 29 Nov 2012, 12:54

Hello everybody

TestDisk is great software. Thank you very much Christophe for working on it.

I have a question about searching or scanning for partitions through the "Analyse" menu, particularly in deep search.

Is it possible, with command line arguments, or any method, to start the search / scan from a specific point on the hard disk?

It would be useful on large drives if you could skip the first 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/4 of the disk.

Thank you very much

Brendan

Sponsored links

zonk

Re: deep search from specific point

#2 Post by zonk » 31 Mar 2013, 21:53

Yep, I also want such a feature.

TestDisk just finished a deep search that took ages and then I accidently closed the program. Luckily - or so I thought! - I had the partition's location etc. that TeskDisk found saved. But that seems of no use since the program can't limit the search to a certain range of cylinders. I think as a workaround it is possible to make some sort of virtual disk that gets shown to TestDisk that only shows a part of the whole disk to it, so that TestDisk would only work on that smaller part.

Fiona

Re: deep search from specific point

#3 Post by Fiona » 02 Apr 2013, 20:07

TestDisk doesn't start searching from a specific point.
There is a trick, if testdisk found a partition and you can recognize it by the label so that you want to recover it, you can jump to the end of the partition by pressing F (upper case) for forward.
If you're looking for more partitions, testdisk will keep searching for.
Maybe it helps to save you time?

Fiona