Full Hard Disk, No Access To Data

Using PhotoRec to recover lost data
Forum rules
When asking for technical support:
- Search for posts on the same topic before posting a new question.
- Give clear, specific information in the title of your post.
- Include as many details as you can, MOST POSTS WILL GET ONLY ONE OR TWO ANSWERS.
- Post a follow up with a "Thank you" or "This worked!"
- When you learn something, use that knowledge to HELP ANOTHER USER LATER.
Before posting, please read https://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk.pdf
osyrisdiamond

Full Hard Disk, No Access To Data

#1 Post by osyrisdiamond »

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5 and PhotoRec 6.14-WIP (May 2013).

After searching for .mp4 etc files, I discovered that the disk the information was to be written to was too small. After trying in vain to select a place to store the information, which PhotoRec only seemed to give me paths within said full disk, I quit (before realizing the resources here). My disk is still full, yet I cannot fine any folder to where whatever data that had been recovered.

When I previously did test searches, certain folders were created to house the data. However, I deleted these once I more fully understood the program. I figured either a new folder would be created with what data could be (or had been) written written, or that the unwritten memory would be dumped. However, after quitting with no alternative of changing where the data was to go, I am left with no accessible file recovered but equally no space on my hard drive.

How do I access this missing data (to delete it from this disk or use it)?
How do I move the destination hard disk of the recovered files (so in future this will not happen again)?